Speed of Flight was the twenty-seventh novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Paul Leonard. It featured the Third Doctor, Jo Grant and Mike Yates. The novel is notable for featuring Mike Yates's apparent death, until being restored to life by the Doctor.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "Those who are intelligent, strong and virtuous are promoted. The stupid, the weak and the unworthy will die. How else is it possible for the world to make progress?"
The TARDIS lands on Nooma, a world in the middle of an industrial revolution. But the Third Doctor, Jo and Mike Yates quickly discover that there is no limit to the upheaval. The sky is alive, and at war with the ground. The continents are on the move, competing for a place under the sun. And somewhere, there is a starship...
Mike finds himself committed to a fight where his only option is to kill or be killed. Jo is caught in a workers' revolt. And the Doctor must find out what is really happening to Nooma before the struggle for survival kills the world and everyone on it.
to be added
- The title is likely a pun on the common phrase "faster than the speed of light."
- The Doctor recalls his encounters with the Autons. (TV: Spearhead from Space, Terror of the Autons)
- Jo refers to Catriona Talliser and the Xarax. (PROSE: Dancing the Code)
- The Doctor attempts to take Jo and Mike to Karfel. The presence of a painting of him in his third incarnation on the planet Karfel and a statement from Jo to Sarah Jane Smith indicates he eventually did. (TV: Timelash, Death of the Doctor)