|Main enemy:||Monica Lamprey|
|Release date:||4 August 2005|
|Format:||Paperback Book, ? Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Island of Death||Fear Itself|
Spiral Scratch was the seventy-first BBC Past Doctor Adventures novel. It was written by Gary Russell. It featured the Sixth Doctor and Mel. This was the final novel featuring the Sixth Doctor. It is also the final Sixth Doctor adventure overall, as the ending leads directly into TV: Time and the Rani.
After its acceptance into Doctor Who canon, this story provided a way to amend the conflicted reception given toward the Sixth Doctor's unceremonious death, brought forth by the circumstances of Colin Baker's forced departure from the series. The novel reveals that the Sixth Doctor was already dying by the time the Rani boarded his TARDIS after the events of this story, and her attack propagated the Sixth Doctor's inevitable death sooner than it would have occurred.
Publisher's summary Edit
Carsus: the largest repository of knowledge in the universe -- in any universe, for there is an infinite number of potential universes; or rather, there should be. So why are there now just 117,863? And why, every so often, does another one just wink out of existence?
With the ties that bind the Lamprey family to the past, present and future coming unravelled around him, only the Sixth Doctor can stop the descent into temporal chaos. But he is lost on Janus 8. And Schyllus. And a twentieth-century Earth where Rome never fell. And...
to be added
- The Doctor
- Melanie Bush
- Monica Lamprey
- Shepherd Mullen
- Joseph Tungard
- Richard de Calne
- Sir Bertrand Lamprey
- Helen Lamprey
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor's final words to Mel before his regeneration into his seventh incarnation are, “Don’t cry Mel. It was my time. Well, maybe not, but it was my time to give. To donate. I’ve had a good innings you know, seen and done a lot. Can’t complain this time. Don’t feel cheated. (Mel replies, 'But it's not fair!') Yes...it is...” His actual last words as the Rani prepares to attack his TARDIS are, "Local...tractor beam..."
Astronomical objects Edit
- Garrett is a gas giant.
- Rummas is a Time Lord and a friend of the Doctor who lives on Carsus.
- An alternate version of Peri Brown is said to have sacrificed her life for her version of the Doctor.
- Among the alternate versions of Mel is a human-Silurian Hybrid known as Melanie Baal.
- The Spiral Chamber is a portal to the spiral in the Time Vortex.
- In an alternate timeline, the Doctor visited Huttan in 2267, Narrah in 2721, Ch'zzz in 3263, Schyllus in 4387 and Helios 3 in 5738.
- Among the phenomena mentioned by Professor Rummas is strange matter fragments.
- Before arriving on Carsus, the Doctor encounters one of his future incarnations outside the TARDIS Library. It is not specified which incarnation it is.
- The Doctor and Mel have recently visited Kolpasha. (PROSE: Instruments of Darkness)
- Mel witnesses several different versions of the Doctor, including one with a penguin, presumably Frobisher. Two Doctors wear blue coats. Both are accompanied by a lady in her fifties, who is meant to be Evelyn Smythe. (WC: Real Time)
- Spiral Scratch at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: Spiral Scratch at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: Spiral Scratch