The original Strategist, along with the other original four Paradigm Daleks (the white Supreme, yellow Eternal, orange Scientist, and red Drone), were created when the three survivors of an encounter with the Doctor tricked the Eleventh Doctor into allowing them to activate the Progenitor device. The original Strategist's first act was to exterminate two of its predecessors (a painted "Ironside" and its unpainted comrade). It escaped through a time corridor with the others and went on to help rebuild the Daleks. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
A Chief Strategist, one of a higher rank of Strategist Daleks, was in command of the platoon that attacked Station 7, with several other Strategists, Scientists and Drones under its leadership. It knew of the plans by the SSS agents on Station 7 to use captive Daleks to fight them, and let the humans believe their strategy would work until the last minute. (COMIC: The Only Good Dalek) When the Daleks reintroduced the bronze casing for standard Dalek foot soldiers, a Black Dalek took up a similar role. (COMIC: The Dalek Project)
Several Strategists were present in the Dalek Emperor's flagship when the Daleks invaded Earth with a piece of the Eternity Clock in 2106. River Song was chased by one of the Strategists in a devastated London as she traversed a ruined building. (GAME: The Eternity Clock)
When the Doctor, Amy Pond and Rory Williams were transported to the spaceship of the Dalek Parliament, at least one Strategist was present amongst the Parliament members. By this time, the color of the Strategist class’ casing had been altered to a much darker, more metallic shade of blue. (TV: Asylum of the Daleks)
Behind the scenes Edit
- According to Doctor Who Confidential, the name "Strategist Dalek" was coined by Mark Gatiss as one of the new styles of Daleks. Gatiss also coined the names of the White Supreme, Drone and Scientist Daleks.
- Matt Smith stated in Confidential that the "blue" Dalek was his personal favourite of the five Progenitor Daleks.
- Although the Supreme, Drone and Eternal have appeared in The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang, the Strategist and Scientist have not.
- The Strategist Dalek appears to have a colour scheme reversed to the original footsoldier Daleks from 1963-1967. Those had silver bodies with blue orbs while the Strategist has a blue body and silver orbs.
- The model for this Dalek was used to create the Stone Dalek in The Big Bang but was restored to normal according to an interview.[which?]
- The Progenitor Emperor Dalek is blue, which may mean that it is a Strategist for the Dalek Empire. (GAME: City of the Daleks)
- Sylvester McCoy uses the Strategist Dalek to secure a part in the 50th Anniversary Special in The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.
- According to the non-narrative source Doctor Who The Official Annual 2011, the Strategist Dalek was created with the purpose of acting as a battle planner for Dalek troops.
- New Paradigm Strategist Dalek is one of Dalek enemies used in the Doctor Who: Legacy mobile game.