Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Susan, known to the Preacher as Joshua, was the Preacher's horse in Mercy, Nevada in 1870. According to the Eleventh Doctor, "he" preferred the name "Susan" and wanted the Preacher to respect his life choices. The Doctor rode Susan to find Kahler-Jex' ship. (TV: A Town Called Mercy)
Behind the scenes Edit
Male pronouns are used in this article because those are the pronouns used by the Doctor. Though the horse's "life choices" are left vague and open to multiple interpretations, many fans have interpreted his line as meaning Susan identifies as female and as transgender. Some see this, partially because the use of he/him pronouns, as transphobic. In the real world, trans women tend to use she/her pronouns, in line with their gender identity. It would, unfortunately, be real world creep for this article to assume that a horse from the 19th century would have identified as female, and preferred female pronouns.
Toby Whithouse, who wrote A Town Called Mercy, also made a passing reference to a trans person in another of his scripts, Greeks Bearing Gifts. Jack Harkness speaks of his friend who disappeared for a while, "he comes back, and we've got to start calling him Vanessa." Whithouse uses male pronouns in both scripts for presumably MTF characters.
- ↑ liz011 (16 September 2012). A Town Called Mercy. Tumblr. Retrieved on 9 December 2015.
- ↑ STFU Moffat (17 September 2012). A Town Called Mercy: Susan?. Tumblr. Retrieved on 9 December 2015.
- ↑ STFU Moffat haters (15 September 2012). Wait, why do you dislike Toby Whithouse? I mean,.... Tumblr. Retrieved on 9 December 2015.
- ↑ "Michelle Kerry" (27 January 2015). Little Boxes Will Make You Angry: Doctor Who and Transphobia. Doctor Who TV. Retrieved on 9 December 2015.
- ↑ Doctor Who TV Says Doctor Who can be "Transphobic". reddit : gallifrey (2015). Retrieved on 9 December 2015.