|Sword of Orion|
|Main enemy:||The Cybermen|
|Main setting:||The Garazone System, 2503|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Nicholas Briggs|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||February 2001|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Storm Warning||The Stones of Venice|
Sword of Orion was the seventeenth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. This was a double first, being the first Big Finish story to feature the Cybermen, and the first Eighth Doctor story to feature the Cybermen. This is also another of Big Finish's stories which was originally created as part of the Audio Visuals, a fan produced series which featured many people who went onto create and work for Big Finish and BBV Productions. Nicholas Briggs filled many roles in the production of this story — he provided the voice of the Cybermen, sound design, music, direction, and writing.
Publisher's summary Edit
The human race is locked in deadly combat with the "Android Hordes" in the Orion System. Light years from the front line, the Eighth Doctor and Charley arrive to sample the dubious delights of a galactic backwater, little suspecting that the consequences of the Orion War might reach them there. But High Command's lust for victory knows no bounds.
Trapped aboard a mysterious, derelict star destroyer, the Doctor and Charley find themselves facing summary execution. But this is only the beginning of their troubles. The real danger has yet to awaken.
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Charley Pollard - India Fisher
- Thinnes - Mark Gatiss
- Digly - Barnaby Edwards
- Ike - Ian Marr
- Grash - Bruce Montague
- Vol - Hylton Collins
- Deeva Jansen - Michelle Livingstone
- Chev - Helen Goldwyn
- Kelsey - Toby Longworth
- The Cybermen - Nicholas Briggs, Alistair Lock
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor finds a recorder in the smugglers shop and plays it to Charley; he has lost practice. (TV: The Power of the Daleks et al.)
- The Doctor tells Charley to grab a book and take it with them from the smugglers' shop without paying for it. Charley makes note of this but the Doctor claims that "it's probably stolen anyway".
- While on board the star destroyer the Doctor mentions feeling something waking up, unknowingly referencing his encounter with the Cybermen on Telos in his second incarnation. (TV: The Tomb of the Cybermen)
- A Cybermat is present on the Cybermen's ship.
- Deeva has in her possession a powerful gun which is able to destroy Cybermen.
- Sword of Orion is a remake of the Audio Visuals audio drama of the same name.
- An illustrated preview for this story by Lee Sullivan appeared in DWM 301.
- This story marks the first appearance of the Cybermen in an audio drama.
- This audio drama was recorded on 16 and 17 May 2000 at studios in Bristol.
- Ramsay is feeling sick for being outside the Time Vortex for too long. (AUDIO: Storm Warning)
- The Cybermen refer to their encounter with the Doctor on Planet 14. (TV: The Invasion)
- A secret government organisation called Scorpius was formed in the aftermath of the Sword of Orion incident. (AUDIO: Scorpius)
- Official Sword of Orion page at bigfinish.com
- Sword of Orion at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for Sword of Orion at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide