|Cover date:||24 January 2008|
|Format:||68 pages stapled|
Articles and features Edit
- On Set: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
- Grand Designs: The Hub Annotated photo-feature with Torchwood Production Designer Edward Thomas
- Meet the Team: Profiles of Captain Jack Harkness, Gwen Cooper,Owen Harper, Toshiko Sato and Ianto Jones
- Creature Feature: Blow by Blowfish from Script to Screen.
- Production Notes from Chris Chibnall Head Writer and Co-producer.
Interviews / Profiles Edit
- John Barrowman Actor Captain Jack Harkness
- James Marsters Actor John Hart including TV and film credits
- Nikki Amuka-Bird Actress Beth Halloran in TV: Sleeper
- Dyfed Potter Actor Mike Lyndon in TV: Sleeper
- Where's Your Head At? (Q&A): Naoko Mori who played Toshiko Sato
Comic strips Edit
- "The Legacy of Torchwood One!" – A complete story over ten coloured pages.
Story Previews Edit
Additional features Edit
- The Hub (News)
- Including the new-look BBC website (www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood)
- Competitions, prizes included
- John Barrowman's Anything Goes biography
- Torchwood Series 1 DVD Boxset
- Editor: Simon Hugo
- Comics Editors: Steve White and Ned Hartley
- Designers: Oz Brown and Philip White
- Admin Assistant: Hannah Tibbetts
- Managing Editor: Brian J Robb
Facts Included Edit
- Captain John Hart was originally going to appear riding the rift on a "pandimensional surfboard", like that seen in TV: Boom Town.
- Torchwood Season 1 was the highest rated show to be shown on the BBC America channel.
- A working title for S2.3 To the Last Man was Soldier's Heart, a term used to describe shell shock during the American Civil War.
- Paul Kasey regular Doctor Who alien played the Blowfish.
Additional details Edit
- Titan Magazines was well known for its range of predominantly American TV tie-in titles that included Lost, Supernatural, Heroes, CSI: Miami, 24 and Prison Break.
- Torchwood: The Official Magazine launched with a glossy cover, as a four-weekly title in January 2008 priced £3.75 (UK).
- A subscription offer included a saving of 30% on 13 issues including one special issue.
- This first issue included a £6 discount voucher against Getretro new range of limited edition Torchwood stamps exclusive to scificollector.
- The launch date for the title means that it arrived on the shelves after Season 2 had begun transmission (indeed the previews commence with episode 3).
- Of the 68 pages, 8 were given over to advertising other titles from the publisher and a further 4 pages of Torchwood related advertising.
- The next issue page for that published on 21st February 2008 includes the comment "contents subject to change"
- Aimed at mature fans of the series, the magazines did not shy away from discussions involving sex and violence, topics integral to the success of this "adult" spin-off series from the BBC's more family friendly Doctor Who.
- The proposed readers' email page was to be headed "Talk Wood!"
- The "Meet the Team" and "Grand Designs" features from this issue were reprinted in the Torchwood The Official Magazine Yearbook (2008) along with the John Barrowman and James Marsters interviews.
- An alternative first issue cover was used for promotional purposes.