a real world point of view
|The 100 Days of the Doctor|
|Main enemy:||The Texineurons|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Andy Hardwick|
|Release date:||September 2007|
|Format:||1 X 25 min.|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
The 100 Days of the Doctor was a 2007 Big Finish Productions full-cast audio short story, featuring the Sixth Doctor and Dr. Evelyn Smythe. It was part of 100, the one hundredth monthly Doctor Who audio release produced by Big Finish Productions.
It was notable for being Paul Cornell's only professionally published work to star the Sixth Doctor.
Publisher's summary Edit
Someone has assassinated the Doctor. And he only has one hundred days to find out who did it.
to be added
The Doctor Edit
- Upon observing them, Evelyn describes the Fifth Doctor, the Seventh Doctor and the Eighth Doctor as being "lovely", seeming like "a rather jolly man" and "charming" respectively.
- The Doctor and Evelyn comment on the conspicuous absence of the Doctor's first four selves from their journey.
- The Doctor dislikes Braxiatel, whom he describes as being condescending, but does not doubt his trustworthiness.
- The Sixth Doctor claims that being his fifth incarnation was "like a holiday. A very wonderful holiday."
- Evelyn describes Lucie Miller as being "more mainstream" than Charley Pollard.
- After observing C'rizz, the Doctor comments that he has never had a non-humanoid companion by the time of his sixth incarnation in spite of the fact that he travelled with both K9 Mark I and K9 Mark II in his fourth incarnation and Frobisher earlier in his sixth incarnation for several years each as well as Kamelion more briefly in his fifth incarnation.
- The basic conceit of the story is not dissimilar to TV: Death of the Doctor.
- Although the Doctor sees Charley Pollard in the company of his future self in this story, he fails to recognise her upon meeting her formally in AUDIO: The Condemned, which occurs later in his personal timeline.
- A comic preview by Martin Geraghty for this story was published in DWM #387.
- The Doctor and Evelyn see but do not meet the Fifth Doctor, Peri Brown and Erimem at the inauguration of the Three-Bodied Lustresness of the Vyx, the Seventh Doctor, Ace and Hex on a rainforest planet and two Eighth Doctors, Charley Pollard, C'rizz and Lucie Miller in an American frontier town in the 1870s. Evelyn would later meet the Seventh Doctor formally in AUDIO: Thicker than Water and AUDIO: A Death in the Family. She also met Ace and Hex in the latter.
- The Sixth Doctor remarks that his fifth incarnation is "interested in sport and has terrible dress sense." Upon hearing this description, Evelyn stated that she liked the sound of him already. (TV: Castrovalva)
- The Sixth Doctor seems somewhat irritated by Evelyn referring to his immediate predecessor as "lovely". This is consistent with his low opinion of the Fifth Doctor immediately after his regeneration. (TV: The Twin Dilemma) In spite of this, he grudgingly admits that he enjoyed his fifth incarnation, stating that "being him was like a holiday. A very wonderful holiday."
- This is the first Sixth Doctor story in which the Fifth Doctor's companion Erimem is mentioned.
- The Sixth Doctor recognises his immediate successor from his encounter with him on Gallifrey. (AUDIO: The Sirens of Time) He claims that, from what he has heard, his future self is "always blowing up planets." (TV: Remembrance of the Daleks, PROSE: The Pit, PROSE: Blood Heat, PROSE: Cold Fusion)
- The Sixth Doctor and Evelyn observe Hex in the company of the Seventh Doctor. Unbeknownst to either of them, the young man is in actuality "Little Tommy," the son of Cassie Scholefield, whom they previously met in AUDIO: Project: Twilight and AUDIO: Project: Lazarus. This information would later be revealed to the Seventh Doctor and Evelyn in AUDIO: The Harvest (in which the Doctor first met Hex formally) and AUDIO: Thicker than Water respectively.
- The Sixth Doctor tells Evelyn that the Time Lords watch and listen to their adventures using a Time-Space Visualiser. (TV: The Chase)
- As observed by the Sixth Doctor and Evelyn, the Eighth Doctor met Lucie prior to the events of AUDIO: Blood of the Daleks in his personal timeline. A younger version of the Eighth Doctor from the period in which he was travelling with Charley Pollard and C'rizz met a future version of himself and Lucie in the American Frontier in the 1870s. In order not to disrupt the Web of Time, the Doctor did not reveal this information to Lucie in Blood of the Daleks.
- The Doctor and Evelyn take a 'side step' and encounter the alternative Third Doctor and the Brigadier featured in NOTDWU: Sympathy for the Devil and, subsequently, NOTDWU: Masters of War.
- This story reveals that the Doctor met Bernice Summerfield prior to the events of PROSE: Love and War in his personal timeline. As the Sixth Doctor remains completely ignorant of the fact that Benny would later travel with him, it is logical to assume the archaeologist did not reveal this information to him in order not to disrupt the Web of Time. Likewise, in Love and War, the Seventh Doctor did not tell Benny that he had previously met her future self.
- The Doctor and Evelyn observe their past selves meeting Bernice and Irving Braxiatel on a dig being conducted by the latter's collection. Evelyn remembers sharing gin with Bernice and remarks that she "drinks like a fish." After several drinks, Benny spoke at length about her relationship problems, presumably referring to her complicated relationships with both her former husband Jason Kane and lover Adrian Wall (the father of her half-Killoran son Peter Summerfield) as depicted in the Big Finish Bernice Summerfield series. Furthermore, the Doctor comments that Braxiatel is "up to his neck in Gallifrey." Evelyn recalls her own brief experience of Gallifreyan politics in AUDIO: The Apocalypse Element.