a real world point of view
|The Auntie Matter|
|Main enemy:||Lady Florence Bassett|
|Main setting:||London and Bassett-on-Hamble, Hampshire, 1929|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Release date:||January 2013|
|Format:||1 CD, 2 Parts|
|The Fourth Doctor Adventures|
|The Oseidon Adventure||The Sands of Life|
Publisher's summary Edit
Whilst K9 is off in the TARDIS leading the Black Guardian on a wild goose chase, the Doctor and Romana are enjoying a leisurely lifestyle as the Lord and Lady of a London townhouse. But trouble never stays away from them for long, and before they know it a chance discovery of alien technology leads them deep into the heart of the English countryside where a malign presence lurks.
As the Doctor dodges deadly butlers and ferocious gamekeepers, Romana is faced with a malevolent Aunt and an even deadlier peril - marriage.
to be added
- The Doctor - Tom Baker
- Romana - Mary Tamm
- Florence Wickham / Lady Florence Bassett - Julia McKenzie
- Reginald "Reggie" Bassett - Robert Portal
- Mabel Dobbs - Lucy Griffiths
- Grenville / Diggery - Alan Cox
- Lady Ligeia Bassett - Jane Slavin
- Florence refuses to call Reginald "Reggie" as she believes that diminutives suggest over familiarity. Furthermore, she claims that Reginald sounds like the name of a High Court judge while Reggie sounds like the name of a door to door salesman.
- Romana considers Earth to be "harmless, if a bit primitive" as humans have only recently developed the theory of relativity. She regards them as only one step above banging each other on the head with rocks.
- The Doctor refers to George and Ira Gershwin, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ernest Hemingway and flappers.
- The butler Grenville and the gameskeeper Diggery are identical androids. They are equipped with crystalline microcircuitry and are powered by a neutron cell.
- Reggie refers to the Martian invasion from The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells.
- Bassett Hall was built in the late 18th century.
- Lady Florence is a Valjax, a meditative species which was wiped out by a spaceborne virus. Her ship crash-landed on Earth by accident and took on human form to extend her life. However, it extends the ageing process so she needs a constant stream of new bodies. To that end, Reggie has procured twelve young women for her. His memory of each of his potential brides was subsequently wiped by Grenville on Lady Florence's orders.
- Julia McKenzie (Florence) previously played Rachel in AUDIO: No More Lies.
- Alan Cox (Grenville / Diggery) previously played John Matthews in AUDIO: The Roof of the World, Mark Seven in AUDIO: The Destroyers and Oscar Wilde in AUDIO: Beautiful Things.
- Jane Slavin (Ligeia) previously played Onya in AUDIO: The Paradise of Death and Valerie Carlton in AUDIO: The Valley of Death.
- One of Lady Florence's lines is "Leave the man. It's the girl I want." This is a in-joke as the Rani stated "Leave the girl. It's the man I want," referring to the Seventh Doctor and Melanie Bush, in TV: Time and the Rani.
- This story is unusual in that it does not feature the TARDIS.
- This audio drama was recorded on 18 July 2011.
- In an attempt to evade the Black Guardian, the Doctor has activated the TARDIS' randomiser and programmed it to travel to approximately 1,000 planets, which could take up to a month. He left K9 aboard the TARDIS. (TV: The Armageddon Factor)
- Reggie asks Romana if her name is short for something. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- The Doctor and Romana previously encountered androids on Tara. (TV: The Androids of Tara)