In Winter on Earth, the Doctor and Romana track Khapsis energy to a park, where they meet Rodney Barton, being mimicked by the energy. The Doctor tries to hypnotise him and learn information while Romana goes into the park, tracking the energy. Barton tells the Doctor about the beast that keeps everyone away from the park, and they follow Romana in. She tells the Doctor they need to leave because it's too dangerous. The Doctor sees she's not wearing her scarf and the image fades away. The water of the lake becomes a face and telepathically communicates with the Doctor. He tells it it's stolen the soul of the entire park, the trees and animals, and will consume the city, goading it by insulting it's non-threatening appearance. It warps itself into a screech-owl and attack him as he throws his scarf at it, containing a piece of dwarf star alloy. Because it's so dense, the Khapsis energy compresses itself over and over again to mimic it, freeing Barton and Romana and being small enough to keep in a box. They drink mugs of tea before the Doctor and Romana leave. And the universe goes about its business.
- Rodney Barton is upset that his park has become filled with punks and skinheads.
- The Doctor captures the Khapsis energy using dwarf star alloy.
- He tries hypnosis but it doesn't work on people with narrow little eyes.
- The Khapsis energy consumes Romana and mimics her, but doesn't include the scarf she's wearing.
- The Doctor says they will deposit the energy on a small backwater in the Alpha Ursae Minoris system.
to be added
- Romana is surprised that the Doctor now wears a burgundy coat. (TV: The Leisure Hive) She feels it reflects a more morose and sombre mood.
- Romana had a better academic record at the Academy than the Doctor. (TV: The Ribos Operation)
- The Doctor theorises the text-books at the Academy are written by computers. Paintings are done by computers as well on Gallifrey. (TV: City of Death)