Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Beast of Babylon|
|Read by:||Charlie Higson|
|Release date:||23 September 2013|
|Spore||The Mystery of the Haunted Cottage|
|Another audio clip|
|Behind the scenes video|
Publisher's summary Edit
When a girl called Ali pockets a silver orb that falls from the sky, little does she realise it's her ticket to seeing the universe! Desperate to retrieve the mysterious object, the Ninth Doctor agrees to let her join him on a dangerous trip to ancient Babylon. Together they must join forces to stop a giant Starman from destroying Earth before it's too late!
to be added
- Ninth Doctor
- Ali's dad
- Ali's mum
- Rose Tyler
- Mickey Smith
- The Doctor mentions some of his previous companions; Susan, Barbara, Ian, Prince Egon, Jamie, Polly, Ella McBrien, Sarah Jane Smith and Leela. Egon and Ella are new companions referenced for the first time in this story; it is not known which Doctor they travelled with.
- The Doctor mentions that he has recently regenerated, he says he had trouble calibrating to his latest body.
- The Doctor talks to the Exalted Holgoroth of All Tagkhanastria, pretending to be an emissary from the Crab Nebula.
- Karkinians come from Karkinos.
- Ali learnt about the TARDIS and the Time Lords at college. She was taught they were an ancient and extinct race.
- The Doctor compares Ali's good observation skills to Sherlock Holmes. She does not know who he is.
- Gurgurum mentions the conquests of Eshunna, Elam, Larsa, and Mari as examples of Babylon's might.
- The Tigris and Euphrates rivers make up the borders of Babylon.
- The soil of Babylon is fertile, allowing lots of fruit trees, date palms, and fields of wheat to grow there.
- The Doctor describes humans and meerkats as the only two "halfway sentient" creatures on Earth circa 2005.
- This is one of only three of the eShorts (the others being Spore and Lights Out) in which the Doctor is not depicted as travelling with one of his TV companions, and is the only BBC-licensed story to date to depict the Ninth Doctor in an adventure with a non-TV companion.
- The final chapter retells the final scene from TV: Rose.
- An audiobook of the story was read by its author, Charlie Higson.
- The Doctor mentions that he once had a hand similar to that of a crab, in a body "far far away". (PROSE: A Big Hand for the Doctor)
- The Doctor mentions the events of TV: Rose and goes back to visit Rose at the end of the story. This entire story is set within the events of Rose, just prior to his returning to pick Rose up at the end of the episode.
- A Starman's physical appearance depends on the lifeforms it absorbs when feeding on their planets. The Krillitane also have this biological trait. (TV: School Reunion)
- The Doctor says he is only a warrior if he has to be. (TV: The Night of the Doctor)