|The Broken Man|
|Main enemy:||Yuri Azarov, the Mavora, Sergal|
|Main setting:||Prague, 1989|
|Printed in:||Doctor Who Magazine 451 - 454|
|Release date:||30 August 2012|
|Format:||Comic - 4 parts|
|DWM comic stories|
|The Cornucopia Caper||Imaginary Enemies|
The Broken Man was a Doctor Who Magazine comic story featuring the Eleventh Doctor, Amy Pond and Rory Williams. It marked the first appearance of the Lake family, who would return in the 50th anniversary comic strip special, Hunters of the Burning Stone. Even though they would appear in the following story, this strip was the final story to feature Amy and Rory travelling with the Doctor.
Prague, 1989: Patrick Lake and his family are desperate to return to London, but Patrick is hiding a dark secret from his wife - he is a British spy working undercover to bring down Yuri Azarov, a man whose rise to power leaves devastation for all. Patrick finds an ally in a traveller called the Doctor, a man whose name echoes throughout history, according to Patrick's associate Hugo Wilding. But the Doctor's attempt to discover the truth leaves Patrick's family - and Rory - at the mercy of Yuri and his sinister, inhuman, sidekick...
Part One: The Broken Man Edit
To be added
Part Two: From Russia With Hate Edit
To be added
Part Three: The Sorrows of Prague Edit
To be added
Part Four: The Sacrifice Edit
To be added
- Eleventh Doctor
- Amy Pond
- Rory Williams
- Patrick Lake
- Heather Lake
- Annabel Lake
- Yuri Azarov
- Rhoda Hoffmann
- Saul Hoffmann
- Hugo Wilding
- Ambassador Golovkin
- When talking about London, Heather Lake mentions Coronation Street, Hyde Park, fish and chips and Woolworths shops.
- Rory was born in 1989.
- The Doctor claims to be the ambassador of Syldavia.
- References are made to the revolutions of 1989, the Polish and Hungarian revolutions, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Mikhail Gorbachev, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, fixed points in time and the Jewish legend of the Golem.
- The Doctor refers to the fall of the Berlin Wall on 9 November 1989. (AUDIO: Protect and Survive)
- The Doctor wears the evening outfit that he wore at Amy and Rory's wedding on 26 June 2010. (TV: The Big Bang) He also wore this outfit in Berlin in 1938 (TV: Let's Kill Hitler) and Paris in 1858 (COMIC: The Screams of Death).
- The Doctor mentions his latest visit to Athens in 410 BC. (COMIC: The Chains of Olympus)
- Rory punches Sergal. He previously punched the Doctor and Adolf Hitler. (TV: The Big Bang, Let's Kill Hitler)
- Amy mentions that her favourite artist is Vincent van Gogh. (TV: Vincent and the Doctor)
- Amy uses River Song's hallucinogenic lipstick, which River sent to her for Mother's Day. Assuming that this story is set during the 2011 series, this places this story in between Let's Kill Hitler and The God Complex.
- The Doctor says that Prague in 1989 is not a fixed point in time and that anything could happen. He previously said the same about Earth in 2020. (TV: Cold Blood)
- When the Doctor discovers that they are in 1989, Rory says that his younger self "is in a cot in Leadworth." (TV: The Eleventh Hour, Amy's Choice, The Big Bang, Let's Kill Hitler)
- Amy calls Rory "stupid face". (TV: Day of the Moon)
- When questioned by Patrick about his identity, the Doctor hands him a top secret file with information about his relationship with Winston Churchill, and a picture of The Doctor and Churchill is shown. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
- When interrogated by Yuri, Rory mentions being a plastic Roman. (TV: The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang)
to be added