|The Church and the Crown|
|Main enemy:||George Villiers|
|Main setting:||Paris, 1626|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Writer:||Cavan Scott and Mark Wright|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||November 2002|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
The Church and the Crown was the thirty-eighth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was, broadly, an historical examination of the era of the The Three Musketeers, although it featured original musketeers, rather than those created by Alexandre Dumas.
It featured Erimem's first journey in the TARDIS, and her second display of field-of-battle heroism. As with several other historicals in the first five years of Big Finish's main Doctor Who line, it was a so-called "pure" historical without any science fictional elements aside from the TARDIS.
Publisher's summary Edit
A nation divided...
A Queen's life at risk...
A net of conspiracy closing in...
Sometimes being a time travelling adventurer just isn't easy...
For a start there's a temperamental TARDIS that lands a few thousand years off course in 17th century Paris. But why shouldn't the Fifth Doctor, Peri and their travelling guest Erimem take a look around the city on the morning of King Louis' annual State Ball?
As Peri becomes embroiled in a plot to kill Queen Anne and smash the unity of the Church and the Crown, the Doctor finds himself duelling musketeers on the streets.
With Peri missing, Erimem catching King Louis' eye and a Musketeer's sword at your throat, could things get any worse?
Part one Edit
to be added
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Peri Brown / Queen Anne of France - Nicola Bryant
- Erimem - Caroline Morris
- King Louis XIII of France - Andrew Mackay
- Cardinal Richelieu - Michael Shallard
- The Duke of Buckingham - Marcus Hutton
- Delmarre - Peter John
- François Rouffet - Andy Coleman
- Captain Morand - Robert Curbishley
- Madame de Chevreuse - Wendy Albiston
- Crow - Mark Wright
- Piere - Gary Russell
- Passerby - Mark Wyman
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor tells Erimem that, earlier in his personal timeline, he met an older version of Louis XIII in 1638.
- The Doctor has a lifetime membership to the Marylebone Cricket Club.
- The Doctor claims to have once met a Visigoth with a sword.
Foods and beverages Edit
- Erimem names her new pet cat Antranak.
- The Doctor dislikes Alexandre Dumas, and thinks he totally miscast Cardinal Richelieu as a villain.
- The Doctor has visited the Louvre.
- This audio drama was recorded on 5 and 6 September 2002 at The Moat Studios.
- An illustrated preview featured in DWM 324 with artwork by Martin Geraghty.
- Before landing in France, the Doctor was trying to reach the Braxiatel Collection, in fulfilment of the promise he made to Erimem at the end of her previous story, AUDIO: The Eye of the Scorpion. The Doctor's purpose at this stage in his relationship with Erimem was to get her to a place of education, not necessarily to travel indefinitely with her.
- The Doctor refers to his former companion K9. (TV: The Invisible Enemy, et al.)
- The Doctor mentions that he was the protégé of the American escapologist Harry Houdini. (TV: Planet of the Spiders) Prior to their arrival in 1963, his first incarnation and his granddaughter Susan Foreman met Houdini in the United States. Houdini taught the Doctor how to perform sleight-of-hand tricks. (PROSE: The Sorcerer's Apprentice) His fourth incarnation had previously told the Iceni cook Bragnar that Houdini kept numerous lock picks on his person. (AUDIO: The Wrath of the Iceni) He met Houdini again at an earlier point in his fifth incarnation, whilst travelling with Adric, Tegan and Nyssa. (AUDIO: Smoke and Mirrors)
- Official The Church and the Crown page at bigfinish.com
- DisContinuity for The Church and the Crown at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide