Publisher's summary Edit
“Nothing can get into the TARDIS,” the Doctor whispered.
Then he realised that Nothing had.
New Orleans, the early 21st century. A dealer in morbid artefacts has been murdered. A charm carved from human bone is missing. An old plantation, miles from any water, has been destroyed by a tidal wave.
Anji goes dancing. Fitz goes grave-robbing. The Doctor attracts the interest of a homicide detective and the enmity of a would-be magician. He wants to find out the secret of the redneck thief and his blind wife. He'd like to help the crippled curator of a museum of magic. He's trying to refuse politely the request of a crazy young artist that he pose naked with the man's wife.
Most of all, he needs to figure out what all of them have to do with the Void that is hunting him down.
Before it catches him.
to be added
- The Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Jonas Rust
- Vernon Flood
- Teddy Acree
- Jack Dupre
- Alan August
- Laura Redpath
- Maurice Chickley
- Pierre Bal
- Swan Acree
- The Doctor briefly remembers having a dark haired granddaughter and a dark haired lover before the memory escapes him once more. He also has the impression that he travelled once with a teenager girl.
- The Doctor once had sessions with Sigmund Freud.
- Anne Rice was holding a fundraiser at the end of the month.
- Sunnydale was mentioned.
- The Doctor tells Fitz and Anji that the nearest airport is in Albany.
- There are a variety of images and half remembered dreams that the amnesiac Doctor experiences, which are references to previous novels / adventures: Timewyrm: Revelation, All-Consuming Fire, Set Piece, Sky Pirates!, The Also People and Lungbarrow.
- Anji sees the Doctor's model train set in the TARDIS. (PROSE: Model Train Set)
- When he sees the Seventh Doctor in his nightmares, the Doctor vaguely recalls having seen him at a funfair. (PROSE: Endgame)
- The Doctor mentions Graham Greene. (PROSE: The Turing Test)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The City of the Dead at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The City of the Dead