a real world point of view
|The City of the Dead|
|Companion(s):||Fitz Kreiner, Anji Kapoor|
|Main enemy:||Jonas Rust|
|Main setting:||Earth, USA, New Orleans, a few years after 2001 and April 30th 1980|
|Release date:||September, 2001|
|Format:||Paperback Book, --- Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|Dark Progeny||Grimm Reality|
Publisher’s Summary Edit
“Nothing can get into the TARDIS,” the Doctor whispered. Then he realised that Nothing had.
New Orleans, the early 21st century. A dealer in morbid artefacts has been murdered. A charm carved from human bone is missing. An old plantation, miles from any water, has been destroyed by a tidal wave.
Anji goes dancing. Fitz goes grave-robbing. The Doctor attracts the interest of a homicide detective and the enmity of a would-be magician. He wants to find out the secret of the redneck thief and his blind wife. He’d like to help the crippled curator of a museum of magic. He’s trying to refuse politely the request of a crazy young artist that he pose naked with the man’s wife.
Most of all, he needs to figure out what all of them have to do with the Void that is hunting him down.
Before it catches him.
- The Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- Jonas Rust
- Vernon Flood
- Teddy Acree
- Jack Dupre
- Alan August
- Laura Redpath
- Maurice Chickley
- Pierre Bal
- Swan Acree
- TARDIS Fault Locator
- The Doctor briefly remembers having a dark haired grandaughter and a dark haired lover before the memory escapes him once more.
- Water elemental
- The Doctor has a Tarot reading which is as follows: the Hierophant, the Hermit, the Emperor, the Fool, the Star, the Moon, the Hanged Man.
- The Doctor once had sessions with Sigmund Freud.
to be added
- There are a variety of images and half remembered dreams that the amnesiac Doctor experiences, which are references to previous novels / adventures:
- Anji sees the Doctor's model train set in the TARDIS. (PROSE: Model Train Set)
- When he sees the Seventh Doctor in his nightmares, the Doctor vaguely recalls having seen him at a funfair. (PROSE: Endgame)
- Detailed synopsis of The City of the Dead at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The City of the Dead at The Whoniverse