The Cold Equations was the twelfth and final story of the fifth series in the Companion Chronicles audio range. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Simon Guerrier and featured Steven Taylor and Oliver Harper.
The borrowed time is elapsing, and they realise they are facing an enemy that cannot be defeated. The cold, hard facts of science.
The Impassable Sky (1)
to be added
The Cold Equations (2)
to be added
- This is Oliver's first trip in the TARDIS.
- Oliver refers to the 1960 film The Time Machine. He initially thought that the TARDIS, like the time machine in the film, would be able to move in time but not space. He was therefore expecting to see Shoreditch in the "time of the dinosaurs" or the 21st century.
- Oliver compares the experience of seeing the future to Dan Dare.
- Oliver learned trigonometry in school.
- This audio drama was recorded on 13 September 2010.
- In the special features, writer Simon Guerrier cites inspiration for Oliver's character and experience of homosexuality in the 1960s from the 1961 film Victim, about a homosexual man on the run from the law, and the television series Mad Men, which featured a gay character.
- Oliver Harper reveals to Steven that he was on the run from the law for engaging in homosexual practices. (AUDIO: The Perpetual Bond).