a real world point of view
|The Creed of the Kromon|
|Main enemy:||The Kromon|
|Main setting:||Zone Eutermes and the Interzone, the Divergent Universe|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||David Darlington|
|Cover by:||Steve Johnson|
|Release date:||January 2004|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|Scherzo||The Natural History of Fear|
The Creed of the Kromon was the fifty-third monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. It was the debut story for new companion C'rizz played by Conrad Westmaas. This story was written by Philip Martin, who wrote TV: Vengeance on Varos and Mindwarp.
Publisher's summary Edit
The Interzone is a fearsome nether-world protecting a zone ruled by the Kromon. Theirs is an arid land of dust and dying trees. Across the landscape are spheres that look like giant anthills. The Doctor believes that within one of these structures lie the clues that will lead him to his lost TARDIS.
The spheres are ruled by the insect-like Kromon who covet the TARDIS. When Charley is captured she is forced to metamorphose into a hybrid-insect Queen, and so to save her, the Doctor must barter his knowledge of space-travel technology, all the while knowing that he risks opening up all the realms of space to a rapacious race whose creed is not to create, only to plunder.
to be added
- The Doctor - Paul McGann
- Charley Pollard - India Fisher
- C'rizz - Conrad Westmaas
- The Kro'ka / The Kromon - Stephen Perring
- The Oroog - Brian Cobby
- L'da - Jane Hills
- The Kromon - Daniel Hogarth
- Neither the Eutermesans nor the Kromon are aware of the existence of time travel, given that the Divergent Universe has no concept of time.
- The Kromon resemble giant termites and are native to the Alpha Zone, a biosphere which resembles an anthill.
- On Charley's advise, C'rizz uses the pseudonym "Z'ricc."
- The Kromon do not have the technology to leave their world.
- The Doctor tells the Kromon that an interactive gyro conductor scope is fundamental to constructing a TARDIS.
- The Creed of the Kromon was written by Philip Martin, who wrote TV: Vengeance on Varos. The two stories share many themes.
- Conrad Westmaas (C'rizz) previously played Tarpov in AUDIO: Omega and the Cheshire Cat in AUDIO: Zagreus.
- Stephen Perring (The Kro'ka) previously played Horemshep in AUDIO: The Eye of the Scorpion and Sebastian Grayle in AUDIO: Seasons of Fear and would later play Lord Matthias in the third series of Gallifrey.
- This story is unusual in that it does not feature the TARDIS.
- C'rizz's status as the Eighth Doctor's latest companion was foreshadowed in NOTDWU: He Jest at Scars..., which was released in September 2003. In the non-canonical story, the Valeyard tells Melanie Bush the names of various companions with whom the Doctor might have travelled. Aside from Charley and C'rizz, they included Peri Brown, Evelyn Smythe, Ace and Hex.
- This audio drama was recorded on 13 and 14 May 2003 at The Moat Studios.
- The Doctor previously referred to the Kromon shortly after he and Charley entered the Divergent Universe, though paradoxically he did not know who they were at the time. (AUDIO: Scherzo)
- The Doctor and Charley have lost the TARDIS in what appeared to be a deliberately engineered environment. (AUDIO: Scherzo)
- The Kro'ka makes Charley relive her death aboard the British airship R101 in France on 5 October 1930. (AUDIO: Storm Warning)
- The Doctor tells Charley that he once met Charles Darwin and the experience "put him off reptiles for life. Well, almost." (AUDIO: Bloodtide)
- The Doctor recalls visiting Mars before the destruction of its atmosphere millions of years earlier. (AUDIO: The Judgement of Isskar)
- The Doctor mentions that the TARDIS requires zeiton-7 in order to allow the ship to move and that there is a source on Varos. (TV: Vengeance on Varos)
- Charley undergoes a transformation similar to that experienced by the Sixth Doctor's companion Peri Brown on Varos in the late 23rd century. (TV: Vengeance on Varos)
- During their visit to Light City in the Divergent Universe, the Doctor and Charley's memories were contributed to the pool of information used to programme the Proles. An edited version of their first meeting with C'rizz in Zone Eutermes was included in an infotainment broadcast which the Proles were obligated to watch. (AUDIO: The Natural History of Fear)
- The Kro'ka tells the Doctor that C'rizz is a monk. He is a member of the Church of the Foundation. (AUDIO: Faith Stealer, Absolution)
- The Doctor would later come to believe that C'rizz did the right thing in killing L'da. (AUDIO: Faith Stealer)
- Official The Creed of the Kromon page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of The Creed of the Kromon at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for The Creed of the Kromon at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide