|The Crystal of Cantus|
|Main character(s):||Bernice Summerfield|
|Main enemy:||The Cybermen|
|Main setting:||Cantus, January 2606|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Simon Robinson|
|Cover by:||Adrian Salmon|
|Release date:||June 2006|
|Big Finish Bernice Summerfield audio stories|
|The Goddess Quandary||The Tartarus Gate|
|Big Finish Bernice Summerfield series|
|The Goddess Quandary||Genius Loci|
The Crystal of Cantus was the twenty-eighth Bernice Summerfield audio story released by Big Finish Productions. It was the fifth and final story of the sixth season. It was told unconventionally through voice-overs and flashback-style point of view scenes.
This story also featured the Cybermen, as the cover art (and dialogue in-story) indicates Cybermen of The Tomb of the Cybermen-era. It is notable for its gruesome revelation of how the Cybermen create Cybermats: from babies.
Fabled crystals from long-dead civilisations. Jason Kane blundering into situations out of his control. Entombed Cybermen waking from a century-long sleep. It's all in a day's work for Professor Bernice Summerfield. Armed with her endless supply of witty quips and penchant for alcoholic beverages, she’ll find the Crystal, rescue Jason, destroy the Cybermen and be home in time for supper.
Except, this time, it's different. This time, as the saying goes, it's personal.
And, after this adventure, things will never be the same again.
to be added
- Bernice Summerfield - Lisa Bowerman
- Irving Braxiatel - Miles Richardson
- Jason Kane - Stephen Fewell
- Joseph - Steven Wickham
- Ronan McGinley - Nicholas Briggs
- Parasiel - Paul Bryant
- Commander Hallan - Michael Cuckson
- Braxiatel contacts his former self on Gallifrey, in order to get an item he needed.
- Jason sings "It's a Long Way to Tipperary".
- The story is not told in a conventional narrative but rather with voice-over and flashback-style point of view scenes.
- Commander Hallan is a recurring character in the Gallifrey audio series, which also features Braxiatel in a major role.
- This story continues Braxiatel's manipulation of Jason that started in AUDIO: The Mirror Effect and his motivations in AUDIO: Death and the Daleks.
- Braxiatel's reasons and motivations for this are further explored in AUDIO: Mindbomb.
- Benny refers to the events of TV: The Tomb of the Cybermen and states the Cybermen have tombs across the galaxy. This would place that story during or before the early 27th century.
- Thesanius tells Jason, in a message to Bernice about the crystal of Cantus, to meet him on Garazone. (AUDIO: Sword of Orion)
- The crystal is the same a on the Coronet of Rassilon. (TV: The Five Doctors)
- Benny has met the Cybermen before. (AUDIO: Silver Lining)
- Official The Crystal of Cantus page at bigfinish.com
- The Crystal of Cantus at the Doctor Who Reference Guide