|The Darksmith Legacy|
|Publisher:||BBC Children's Books|
|Release date:||29 January 2009|
This ten-book series followed the Doctor on his exciting journey to discover the origins of the so-called Eternity Crystal and the powerful artisans who created it - the Darksmiths. The books had interactive elements. Readers had the option to go to the tie-in website to add points to a tally of points, so as to access additional content.
- Apart from the fiction, the books had TARDIS Data Banks containing more information and activity pages designed to tie in with the website.
- Additionally, the books had cut-out or downloadable coupons entitling readers to an invitation to a party in London, provided they had completed the challenges.
- The first 500 entries providing proof of purchase of any two titles in the series also could receive an exclusive slipcase for the ten-book series.
- Each book ended in a cliffhanger leading on to the opening paragraphs of the next instalment of the ongoing storyline. With the exception of the first book, the first chapter of each book began with a reprise of the cliffhanger, like the television series.
The interactive website supporting The Darksmith Legacy encouraged readers to;
- Register, and become part of a community, and to score points for the completion of THE QUEST through puzzles and tasks.(Registered users were also included in a draw for an end of series party invite.)
- Complete the Quest - through the completion of the missions additional features (like computer wallpapers) are unlocked.
- Discover more about the books in the series and the authors (profile, trivia, their writing, favourite monster and favourite Doctor).
- Learn from the educational content that appears on the TARDIS DATA BANKS (some of which must be retained in order to complete the Quest).
Additional Website Content Edit
Readers of the BBC's Doctor Who Adventures magazine were encouraged to get involved in the Quest through regular previews of each new release and special codes that unlocked additional exclusive wallpapers at the website.
- The Darksmith Legacy's overall storyline was devised by Justin Richards who also wrote four of the ten titles.
- Each title in the series was priced £4.99 (UK).
- The Darksmith Legacy was certificated to 13, with under 13s needing parental approval.