a real world point of view
|The Dead Line|
|Main setting:||Cardiff, 2009|
|Release date:||3 July 2009 (Radio 4) |
22 September 2009 (CD)
|BBC Radio Dramas|
|Golden Age||The Devil and Miss Carew|
Publisher summary Edit
When a hospital is inundated with patients that have fallen into coma-like trances, Torchwood move in to investigate. They find that the trances were triggered by phone calls, all of which were made from a number that hadn't been active for over 30 years. Determined to find out who's been calling the unfortunate victims, Jack rings the mysterious number — two, zero, five, nine — nothing. It's a dead line. Until it calls Jack back, he answers — and falls into a deep trance. The team race against time to find the source of the 'infection' and save the patients.
- Captain Jack Harkness - John Barrowman
- Gwen Cooper - Eve Myles
- Ianto Jones - Gareth David-Lloyd
- Rhys Williams - Kai Owen
- Stella Courtney - Doña Croll
- Jan - Eiry Thomas
- Bob- Matthew Gravelle
- Tyler - Brendan Charleson
- Doña Croll (Stella Courtney) previously played Matron Casp in TV: New Earth.
- Brendan Charleson (Tyler) previously played Ivan Fletcher in TV: Day One.
- This story's plotline is reminiscent of the plotline of Stephen King's novel Cell.
Production errors Edit
- Gwen says that Cardiff phone numbers have six digits, but they have had eight digits since April 2000.
- Rhys recalls the events of TV: Meat and Something Borrowed.
- Ianto's comments to the comatose Jack about not expecting to live very long foreshadows his fate in TV: Children of Earth.
- Rhys and Gwen discuss buying a new home; this leads into TV: Children of Earth: Day One which shows Rhys in the process of house-hunting.
Download and CD release Edit
The story is also available as a download from the AudioGo website.