a real world point of view
|The Dimension Riders|
|Main enemy:||The Garvond|
|Release date:||November 1993|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 341 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
|Blood Heat||The Left-Handed Hummingbird|
Publisher's summary Edit
"Someone here has been playing with time, Ace. Like playing with fire, only worse - you get burnt before you've lit the match."
Abandoning a holiday in Oxford, the Doctor travels to Space Station Q4, where something is seriously wrong. Ghostly soldiers from the future watch from the shadows among the dead. Soon, the Doctor is trapped in the past, Ace is fighting for her life, and Bernice is uncovering deceit among the college cloisters.
What is the connection with a beautiful assassin in a black sports car? How can the Doctor's time machine be in Oxford when it is on board the space station? And what secrets are held by the library of the invaded TARDIS?
The Doctor quickly discovers he is facing another time-shattering enigma: a creature which he thought he had destroyed, and which it seems he is powerless to stop.
to be added
- The Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- Professor James Rafferty
- Epsilon Delta aka "The President"
- Captain Romulus Terrin
- Darius Cheynor
- Lt. Albion Strakk
- The Doctor first read about the Garvond in The Worshipful and Ancient Law of Gallifrey.
The Doctor Edit
- His current body is ageing rapidly.
- The Doctor uses his Prydonian Chapter Debating Forum and Oxford Union Society membership cards as identification.
Foods and beverages Edit
- The Doctor likes almond slices.
- Ace still does not trust the Doctor.
- Bernice lost her load of archaeological finds in the Doctor's original TARDIS.
- Professor James Rafferty is Professor of Extra-Terrestial Studies at the University of Oxford.
- Professor Rafferty knows Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Ian Chesterton, and Professor Travers. He is also an old friend of the Doctor.
- The Doctor mentions Skagra.
- The Doctor once thought about retiring to Florana.
Time Lords Edit
- "The President" (aka Epsilon Delta, The President of St. Matthew's College) left Gallifrey, inspired by stories of the Master, the Rani and especially the Doctor. He is a Time Lord from the Ancient Time.
Time travel Edit
- The TARDIS (from the alternate world) does not entirely trust the Doctor.
- The Doctor's TARDIS can project itself a millisecond into the future through the Defence Indefinite Timeloop Option.
- The President's TARDIS is a Type 102.
- This is the second novel in the Alternate Universe arc.
- A prelude to this novel was published in DWM 206.
- The Monk and Artemis make an appearance (behind the scenes) in the prologue and the epilogue.
- The events mentioned by Amanda correspond to: TV: Terror of the Zygons (The Zygon Gambit), Remembrance of the Daleks (The Shoreditch Incident) and Day of the Daleks (Auderly House).
- There are a few references to HOMEVID: Shada.
- Darius Cheynor reappears in PROSE: Infinite Requiem.
- Prelude to The Dimension Riders as published in DWM #206
- Detailed synopsis of The Dimension Riders at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Dimension Riders at The Whoniverse