|The Doctor's Meditation|
|Main setting:||Essex, 1138|
|Premiere broadcast:||15 September 2015|
|Premiere network:||BBC America|
|Format:||1x6 minute episode|
|Doctor Who television stories|
|Last Christmas||The Magician's Apprentice|
|Prologue||The Magician's Apprentice|
The Doctor's Meditation was a prequel to the ninth series of Doctor Who, and was released 15 September 2015 in cinemas in a select group of countries, the USA, Denmark, Russia and Canada. It was later released on Facebook in the United Kingdom, and aired on TV in Australia.
As the Doctor prepares for his upcoming demise, he beds down in an unusual location.
In a castle in Essex in 1138, the Doctor is meditating. As Bors runs in, the Time Lord stirs, and asks Bors how many days he has been there. Bors informs a disbelieving Doctor that he has been there about three hours. Bors asks the Doctor if he had another friend. The Doctor, unsatisfied with the quality of the water in his chalice, exits the castle to build a well.
Bors and his men begin to dig a well on the Doctor's orders. Five days later, they have tried eleven different spots and none of them have yielded water. Seven days later, they finally dig a well. Bors offers the Doctor a bucket of it. Uninterested, the Doctor suggests a visitor's center for the well. Bors drops the bucket back down the well, deeply frustrated by the Doctor's actions.
Five days later, the Doctor is practicing his magic tricks. Bors alerts him to the fact that his order for the throne room extension has been filled - except for the sun-roof since nobody knows what a sun-roof is. The Doctor, in an attempt to test his magic, asks Bors where the coin he had been practicing with is, to which Bors replies that it was still in his right hand. Frustrated, the Doctor protests, bluffing that the coin is not there. Bors continues to question him on what his presence means. The Doctor concedes that he is not the idiot he originally thought him to be.
Four days later, Bors prepares the Doctor's final meditation; he and the Time Lord converse, the Doctor claiming that he only has one day left and must genuinely dedicate some time to thought. Bors replies that he believes the Doctor incapable of silence. Bors leaves the Doctor, only for the Doctor to call him back a few moments later, to offer him a joust. Bors stands his ground, demanding an answer or he will not leave the room, intending to force the Doctor to tell him his story. The Time Lord states that he recently let someone down; he found a battlefield, and although he had come across many before, this one would be his last.
On another world, the sound of gunfire and shouts of soldiers penetrate the mist...
- The Doctor is wearing plaid trousers. He is also wearing a worn out Label Lab Misty Mountain graphic t-shirt, unlike his usual formal dress.
Story notes Edit
- The Doctor's Meditation was first shown prior to a 3-D screening of Dark Water / Death in Heaven at 7:30 PM local time in the US and Canada. Alongside The Five Doctors and The TV Movie, it is one of the few stories to be first shown in the US. It was also released in the UK on the official Doctor Who Facebook page, the first mini-episode to do so.
- It is also one of the few stories to first be shown in cinemas. It has since been broadcast on television in the United States on BBC America on 18 September 2015 and the ABC in Australia on 19 September 2015.
- The final scene of a battlefield leads directly into the first episode of Series 9, The Magician's Apprentice.
- This is the first live-action "pure historical" since Black Orchid in 1982.
to be added
Filming locations Edit
Melfi ( Pz )
Production errors Edit
to be added
- From the Twelfth Doctor's perspective, this story takes place between hearing Colony Sarff's message, and his "axe fight" with Bors. As such, it takes place entirely within the narrative of TV: The Magician's Apprentice.
- The Doctor meditates. (TV: Listen) He previously told Ohila that he should find a rock to go meditate on. (WC: Prologue)
- The Doctor is called a magician. He previously mentioned that he came up with the look of a magician. (TV: Time Heist) He was also previously called this. (TV: Last Christmas)
- The Doctor mentions he's avoiding an old familiarity. (WC: Prologue) This familiarity later turns out to be Davros. (TV: The Magician's Apprentice)
- The Doctor says he has seen an enormous amount of battlefields, it being "the story of [his] life". (TV: An Unearthly Child - Last Christmas)
- The Doctor again uses chalk to write. (TV: Deep Breath, Into the Dalek, Robot of Sherwood, Listen), but instead of using a blackboard, he writes on the floor like he did immediately after regeneration.
- The Doctor asks Bors if he would like a friendly sword fight, pulling out his spoon. He previously battled Robin Hood using the spoon. (TV: Robot of Sherwood)
- The Doctor tells Bors about the battle he lands in on Skaro. (TV: The Magician's Apprentice)
- Danny Pink previously stated that digging wells was an example of the good he was able to achieve during his time as a soldier. (TV: Listen)
Home video releases Edit
to be added
DVD releases Edit
to be added
Blu-ray releases Edit
to be added
Digital releases Edit
- It was released on 17 September 2015 to watch for free in the UK on Facebook, Google Play and Amazon Instant Video. However, the content is geo-locked and cannot be viewed outside of the UK. It is also available to purchase on iTunes.
- The Doctor's Meditation on DoctorWhoTV.co.uk - http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/watch-the-doctors-meditation-76077.htm
- ↑ 'Doctor Who' Returns to Cinemas with a Never-Before-Seen Season 9 Prequel. BBC America. Retrieved on 15 September 2015.