Publisher's summary Edit
The TARDIS lands in the Scottish capital, Edinburgh, during Easter 2003. The city is almost at a standstill, its public services close to collapse and its people terrorised by a bombing campaign.
Within hours one of the Doctor's friends is caught in a deadly explosion, while another appears on television confessing to the murder of twelve people. The TARDIS is stolen by forces intent on learning its secrets. When the Doctor tries to investigate, his efforts are hampered by crippling chest pains.
Someone is manipulating events to suppress humanity's development — but how and why? The trail leads to London where a cabal pushes the world ever closer to catastrophe. Who is the prisoner being held in the Tower of London? Could he or she hold the key to saving mankind?
The Doctor must choose between saving his friends or saving Earth in the past, present and future. But the closer he gets to the truth, the worse his condition becomes...
to be added
- Eighth Doctor
- Fitz Kreiner
- Anji Kapoor
- The Oracle
- Alan Turing
- Charles Babbage
- Daniel Merrell
- Edward Knox
- Francis Clooney
- Gordon MacDonald
- Hannah Baxter
- Helmut Schreyer
- Herman Hollerith
- John Herschel
- Joshua Sutton
- Konrad Zuse
- Neil Judd
- The Pentarch
- William Hastings
- William Kempton
to be added
- This novel takes place in an alternate universe on an Earth where an alternate Sabbath had murdered several key figures, preventing the creation of the computer.
- This was the second novel to feature Alan Turing.
- A number of people similar to people the Doctor knows turn up. Dee the explosive expert, for example, is clearly Ace and the Patriarch is very likely the Brigadier.
- Alan Turing makes an appearance in this novel. He was last seen in PROSE: The Turing Test. However this version of Alan Turing is part of a parallel universe where he survived to live to ninety-one in 2003 instead of committing suicide in 1954.
- The events of PROSE: Hope are mentioned.
- Anji mentions the Absolute of the System. (PROSE: History 101)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Domino Effect at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Domino Effect