a real world point of view
|The Edge of Destruction|
|Based on:||The Edge of Destruction|
|Companion(s):||Susan, Barbara, Ian|
|Main setting:||The TARDIS|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen & Co|
|Release date:||May 1988 (hardcover)|
October 1988 (paperback)
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions, 120 Pages|
|Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks||Marco Polo|
- This novelisation is based on the original television serial generally referred to as TV: The Edge of Destruction which included individual episode titles, written by David Whitaker and shown from 8 February 1964.
- The cover and information on the right are for the original Target edition. It features the artwork of Alister Pearson. (See below for a cover gallery.)
Publisher's summary Edit
In a final bid to regain control of the TARDIS's faulty control system the First Doctor is driven to experiment with a dangerous untried combination.
With a violent explosion the TARDIS blacks out and the crew find themselves trapped inside.
A simple technical fault? Sabotage? Or something even more sinister? Tension mounts as the Doctor and his companions begin to suspect one another.
What has happened to the TARDIS?
Slowly a terrifying suspicion dawns. Has the TARDIS become the prisoner of some powerful fifth intelligence which is even now haunting the time-machine's dark and gloomy corridors?
Chapter Titles Edit
- The Seeds of Suspicion
- Inside the Machine
- 'Like a Person Possessed'
- The End of Time
- The Haunting
- The Brink of Disaster
- A Race Against Time
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Barbara hallucinates that Ian had too much to drink at the Cricketers.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- This novelisation was originally offered to Stephen James Walker, but as a two-parter. It was declined and instead written by Nigel Robinson.
- The inside back cover includes colour Fantastic Doctor Who Poster Offers!-but instead of poster ordering details, the page details how to order Star books!
Cover Gallery Edit
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (May 1988)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN:0491031386, estimated print run: 1,000, priced £7.95)
- Paperback (October 1988)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. One single paperback edition, estimated print run: 23,000, priced £1.99 (UK).
Editions published outside Britain Edit
See also Edit