Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|The Eleventh Tiger|
|Companion(s):||Barbara, Ian, Vicki|
|Main setting:||China, 1865|
|Writer:||David A. McIntee|
|Cover by:||Black Sheep|
|Release date:||3 May 2004|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 8 Chapters, 288 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|Empire of Death||Synthespians™|
Publisher's summary Edit
May you live in interesting times.
The TARDIS crew have seen many different eras. When they arrive in China in 1865, they find banditry, rebellion, and foreign oppression rife. Trying to maintain order are the British Empire and the Ten Tigers of Canton, the most respected martial arts masters in the world.
There is more to chaos than mere human violence and ambition. Can legends of ancient vengeance be coming true? Why does everyone Ian meets already know who he is? The Doctor has his suspicions, but he is occupied by challenges of his own. Soon the travellers must learn that sometimes the greatest danger is not from the enemy, but from the heart.
In interesting times, love can be a weakness, hatred an illusion, order chaos, and ten Tigers not enough.
to be added
- First Doctor
- Ian Chesterton
- Barbara Wright
- Vicki Pallister
- Qin Shi Huangdi
- Richard Logan
- Wong Fei-Hung
- Wong Kei-Ying
- Abbot Wu
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor engages in a kung fu duel.
- As a child, Ian loved the works of Jules Verne and H. G. Wells, whose stories inspired him to pursue a career in science.
- During his national service in the 1950s, which he served in Wales, Ian was a boxer.
- Ian bears a very strong resemblance to his paternal great-grandfather Major William "Bill" Chesterton, leading Ian to mistakenly believe that his ancestor is his future self lost in time.
- Major Chesterton was a member of a Hussar company in Jaipur, India in 1860. By 1890, Major Chesterton had retired to England, where he translated Mountains and Sunsets by Ho Lin Chung into English.
- Barbara quotes the song "Kung Fu Fighting".
- The Mandragora Helix refers to the Doctor as "Traveller" and is aware of his influence throughout Earth's history.
- "'Hell's teeth,' he whispered." This was an expression invented for the show to allow Tegan to have convincingly Australian-sounding swearwords in the television story Logopolis; David McIntee is fond of transplanting it to other cultures.
- The Doctor, Ian and Barbara previously visited China in 1289 in the company of Susan Foreman. (TV: Marco Polo)
- The Doctor claims to speak all Chinese dialects. (TV: The Mind of Evil, TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- Once again the Doctor indulges in a violent fight. (TV: The Romans)
- Ian and Barbara discuss the Doctor kidnapping them in 1963. (TV: An Unearthly Child)
- The Doctor warns Ian about the potentially disastrous consequences of him coming into contact with his future self. (TV: Day of the Daleks, TV: Mawdryn Undead)
- Vicki recalls visiting Turkey (PROSE: Byzantium!) and Italy. (TV: The Romans)
- Barbara tells Ian that she loves him. Ian expressed the same feeling for her in Romans Cutaway. He proposes that they get married if they ever make it home to the 1960s. (PROSE: Byzantium!, PROSE: The Face of the Enemy)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Eleventh Tiger at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Eleventh Tiger