The Emperor of Eternity was the eighth story of the fourth series in The Companion Chronicles audio series. It was produced by Big Finish Productions. It was written by Nigel Robinson and featured Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield.
Although it was not the first time either actor had been employed by Big Finish, it was the first time that the two had appeared together as their original Doctor Who characters, Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield, in an original audio drama. It was also the first time that they had done so since Fury from the Deep in 1968.
Publisher's summary Edit
When the Doctor is taken away to the imperial city, it's up to Victoria and Jamie to save him. Their friend is now a prisoner of Qin, who intends to extract the secret of eternal life, so that he may rule the world forever...
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive in China shortly after a large meteor has fallen to Earth where they find that an entire village has been massacred at the order of Emperor Qin Shi Huang. This is based on a real event which occurred in 211 BC. A large meteor is said to have fallen in Dongjun in the lower reaches of the Yellow River. An unknown person inscribed the words, "The First Emperor will die and his land will be divided." When the Emperor heard of this, he sent an imperial secretary to investigate this prophecy. No one would confess to doing so and, as a consequence, all the people who lived nearby were put to death.
- This audio drama was recorded on 10 November 2009.
- Upon learning that the time travellers are near Tibet, Jamie wonders if they shall encounter more "great hairy beasties." (TV: The Abominable Snowman)
- The First Doctor previously encountered another Chinese Emperor, Kublai Khan, in 1289. (TV: Marco Polo) He also encountered the Mandragora Helix which believed itself to be Qin Shi Huang and was also dressed as a monk. (PROSE: The Eleventh Tiger)
- Victoria tells Jamie that she has forgiven the Daleks for killing her father Edward Waterfield on Skaro. (TV: The Evil of the Daleks) She previously resisted the Master's hypnotic temptation to bring about their extinction at an early stage of their history. (PROSE: The Dark Path)
- The Fifth Doctor would later tell his companion Erimem that he delivered the Terracotta Army to Emperor Qin Shi Huang during his third incarnation. Since Jamie and Victoria discover the Terracota Army on this occasion, the Doctor seemingly did so at an earlier point in the Emperor's personal timeline. (AUDIO: No Place Like Home)
- The Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble would later encounter Qin Shi Huang. (COMIC: The Immortal Emperor)