The Eye of the Giant was the twenty-first novel in the Virgin Missing Adventures series. It was written by Christopher Bulis. It featured the Third Doctor, Liz Shaw, the Brigadier, Mike Yates and John Benton. Set after the events of Inferno, this is one of a few novels showing that Liz Shaw's adventures with the Doctor continued longer than shown in the television stories.
Publisher's summary Edit
- "I might have known it," the Brigadier said tersely. "The Doctor and Miss Shaw have managed to lose themselves on an island that doesn't exist."
1934: Salutua, a legendary lost island in the Pacific. Millionaire Marshal J Grover's expedition arrives to uncover and exploit its secrets. But the task is complicated by a film star's fears and ambitions and a scientist's lethal obsession.
Nearly forty years later: UNIT headquarters, London. The Doctor and Liz Shaw are asked to identify a mysterious artefact and trace its origin. The trail leads them back in time to Salutua and a gigantic discovery. Meanwhile, the Brigadier faces an epidemic of UFO sightings and supernatural occurrences that threaten to bring about global panic. Only the Doctor can help him — but he's trapped on a mythical island four decades in the past.
to be added
- Third Doctor
- Liz Shaw
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
- Mike Yates
- Sgt. Benton
- Sergeant Osgood
- Professor Sternberg
- Marshal Grover
- Nancy Grover
- Amelia Grover
- Lawrence de Veer
- Michael Montgomery
- David Ferraro
- Hubert Dodgeson
- Mike Yates sees inside the TARDIS for the first time.
- Benton had an aunt who read tea leaves.
- The Brigadier has been talking to Sir John Sudbury of C19.
- Grold are flourosilicone life forms; their bodies are more like stone than flesh and require massively high temperatures to function.
- The time phase oscillator, photon accelerator coils and tachyon beam collimator are all parts of the TARDIS console.
- The Doctor still has the Time-Space Visualiser in the TARDIS.
- This story restates that the careers of Mike Yates and Liz Shaw in UNIT overlapped. This was never seen on television, as Yates' first adventure was the one which followed Shaw's departure. The Doctor indicates in Terror of the Autons that Yates had the job of "cleaning up after" the Auton invasion, as depicted in Spearhead from Space. Here we see the first meeting of Sergeant Yates, the Doctor and Liz Shaw. The book claims that Yates had been on "clean-up duty" throughout season 7, and that he had been combing the countryside for any stray bits of Auton and Silurian detritus.
- According to the Brigadier, the reason that he himself is the only officer during Season 7 is budgetary. The UN/UK cannot afford to give the Brigadier any officers. Thus, he tells then-Sergeant Yates and Benton that they're going to have to be responsible well above their pay grade.
- Mike Yates has been on clean-up duties for Autons (TV: Spearhead from Space) and the "Cave Monsters". (TV: Doctor Who and the Silurians)
- There is a mention of the Doctor visiting a parallel universe. (TV: Inferno)
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Eye of the Giant at The Whoniverse
- The Cloister Library: The Eye of the Giant