a real world point of view
|The Eye of the Scorpion|
|Script release:||The Audio Scripts: Volume Two|
|Companion(s):||Peri Brown, Erimem, Antranak|
|Main setting:||Thebes and Giza, Egypt, circa 1400 BC|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||David Darlington|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||September 2001|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
The Eye of the Scorpion was the first time that a new companion for the Fifth Doctor was introduced in an audio story. Erimem joined Evelyn Smythe and Charley Pollard, two other companions created by Big Finish Productions.
Publisher's summary Edit
Egypt is in mourning. Pharaoh, the great God-King, is dead. The future of the Two Kingdoms of Egypt is shrouded in uncertainty as the Council of Priests debates the claim to the throne of Pharaoh's only heir.
But not all of Egypt's enemies are outside the city. What is the secret of the strange box discovered in the desert?
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Peri Brown - Nicola Bryant
- Erimem - Caroline Morris
- Yanis - Harry Myers
- Fayum - Jack Galagher
- Antranak - Jonathan Owen
- Kishik - Daniel Brennan
- Horemshep - Stephen Perring
- Slave - Mark Wright
- Priest - Alistair Lock
- Peri's mother used to worship Paul McCartney.
- Erimem's full name is Erimemushinteperem, which means "Daughter of Light". She is the daughter of the late Pharaoh Amenhotep II and Rubak, one of his sixty concubines. She is seventeen and had three elder half-brothers, all of whom have died in suspicious circumstances over the course of the previous year. She does not believe in the Egyptian gods.
- Peri is a vegetarian and therefore baulks at the thought of eating roast boar at a banquet thrown in her and the Doctor's honour by Erimem. The Doctor advises her to pretend to have eaten it by moving it around her plate.
- Peri refers to Lanzarote as where she went to school and how Americans choose their leaders through elections.
- The Atlanteans built the Sphinx and stored a cache of technology underneath it, though this may have been a hoax on the Doctor's part to trick the mind parasite.
- Peri mentions Margaret Thatcher and Indira Gandhi, two prominent female leaders from her own time. She considers the latter but not the former to be a good leader.
- The Doctor can name every Pharaoh that Egypt ever had.
- An illustrated preview for this audio featured in DWM 308 with artwork by Lee Sullivan.
- The second episode of this story does not feature the Doctor at all. This would not happen again in a Big Finish audio drama until Part One of AUDIO: Protect and Survive in July 2012.
- Stephen Perring (Horemshep) would later play Sebastian Grayle in AUDIO: Seasons of Fear, Vengorr in AUDIO: Living Legend, the Kro'ka in the Divergent Universe arc, beginning in AUDIO: The Creed of the Kromon, and Lord Matthias in the third series of Gallifrey.
- Harry Myers (Yanis) is better known for his role as Adrian Wall in the Big Finish Bernice Summerfield series.
- Jonathan Owen (Antranak) would later play Hamiyun in AUDIO: Her Final Flight and Napoléon Bonaparte in AUDIO: The Curse of Davros.
- This audio drama was recorded on 21 and 22 July 2001 at The Moat Studios.
- Peri refers to Lanzarote, where she first met the Doctor and Turlough on 8 May 1984. (TV: Planet of Fire)
- Peri mentions her mother Janine Foster. (TV: Planet of Fire, AUDIO: The Reaping)
- The Doctor tells Peri that he "was at a bash they threw for Nero once." (TV: The Romans)
- Erimem would later regret not saying goodbye to her mother before leaving with the Doctor and Peri. (AUDIO: No Place Like Home)
- Official The Eye of the Scorpion page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of The Eye of the Scorpion at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for The Eye of the Scorpion at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide