a real world point of view
|The Fall of Yquatine|
|Companion(s):||Fitz Kreiner, Compassion|
|Main setting:||Minerva System, planet Yquatine, 2992|
|Release date:||March 2000|
|Format:||Paperback Book, --- Pages|
|BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures|
|The Shadows of Avalon||Coldheart|
Publisher’s Summary Edit
Yquatine -- cultural, political and economic centre of the Minerva System. A planet with a month to live.
Fitz knows. He was there when Yquatine fell. Now, trapped a month in the past, he doesn’t know if the Doctor survived. He doesn’t know where Compassion has gone. He doesn’t know who the invaders will be.
But he does know the date and time when he will die with the millions of others.
The Doctor teams up with Lou Lombardo -- part-time dodgy temporal gadget salesman and full-time pie seller. Compassion is lost in time and space. And Fitz is living out his final days working in a seedy cocktail bar, where he meets Arielle, the President’s runaway girlfriend. But is she really the best person to shack up with?
As the Doctor tries to talk sense into the politicians and soldiers, and Compassion tries to avert the war, Fitz is about to discover that things can only get worse.
- The Doctor
- Is paranoid about being tracked by the Time Lords.
- Is glad that he doesn't have to shave after seeing how dishevelled people have gotten after the Fall.
- Fitz Kreiner
- Sides with Compassion over the Doctor's forcing of the Randomiser on Compassion.
- This is the first novel where Compassion is ‘the TARDIS’ for the Doctor and Fitz.
- She conceptualises her dematerialisation sequence as FEAR - Focus, Engage Engines, Artron Energy, Randomiser.
- She makes use of her functioning chameleon circuit to gather information about the attack on Yqutaine.
- Finds it easier to track Fitz through time than the Doctor.
- Lou Lombardo
- President Stefan Vargeld
- Arielle Markhof
- Grand Gynarch
- Ralf Petersen
- The Doctor buys a Randomiser from his old friend Lou Lombardo.
- The Doctor forcibly installs a randomiser into Compassion believing it to be the only way to stay ahead of the Time Lords. From Compassion and Fitz's point-of-view, this is analogous to rape. Because she didn't accept the Randomiser, she has no way of bypassing it.
- The Treaty of Yquatine was signed in the Earth year 2893 by all ten planets in the Minerva system.
- Planets in the Minerva system include: Yquatine, Kaillor (later New Anthaur), Ixtrice, Chitis, Adamantine, Beatrix, Zolion, Oomingmak Three, Rorclaavix, and Eldrig.
- Jaquaia is a month in the Yquatine calendar. Lannasirn was another month.
- Draconians and Ogri are present in the Minerva system.
to be added
- Chateau Yquatine is known as being a relatively good wine in Dry Pilgrimage.
- The Doctor mentions giant rats whilst in the sewers of Yquatine. (TV: The Talons of Weng-Chiang)
- Fitz remembers helping to save the creatures of the Dominion. (PROSE: Dominion)
- Fitz remembers Filippa (PROSE: Parallel 59)
- Detailed synopsis of The Fall of Yquatine at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Fall of Yquatine at The Whoniverse