|The Fires of Vulcan|
|Script release:||The Audio Scripts|
|Main setting:||Pompeii, 23-24 August 79 and 1980|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Producer:||Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell|
|Post production:||Alistair Lock|
|Cover by:||Clayton Hickman|
|Release date:||September 2000|
|Format:||4 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
|The Apocalypse Element||The Shadow of the Scourge|
The Fires of Vulcan was the twelfth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. This was the third full story to feature Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor but the first audio story to feature Bonnie Langford as Melanie Bush, a role which she last played in the non-canonical Children in Need sketch Dimensions in Time in 1993. This was also writer Steve Lyons' first contribution to an audio story,
Arriving in Pompeii one day before the disaster, the Seventh Doctor and Mel find themselves separated from their ship and entangled in local politics. With time running out, they fight to escape from the shadow of Mount Vesuvius. But how can they succeed when history itself is working against them?
to be added
- The Doctor - Sylvester McCoy
- Melanie Bush - Bonnie Langford
- Professor Scalini - Anthony Keetch
- Captain Muriel Frost - Karen Henson
- Tibernus - Robert Curbishley
- Popidius Celsinus - Andy Coleman
- Valeria Hedone - Nicky Goldie
- Murranus - Steven Wickham
- Eumachia - Lisa Hollander
- Aglae - Gemma Bissix
- Priest - Toby Longworth
- Roman Legionary - Robert Curbishley
- During his fifth incarnation, the Doctor was contacted by UNIT, who told him that they had found his TARDIS encased in rock at Pompeii during an archaeological excavation in 1980.
- Mel states that she is a vegetarian. Valeria Hedone responds that she has never heard of Vegetaria.
- Mel made a replica of Mount Vesuvius out of papier mâchè while at primary school.
- An illustrated preview for this story appeared in Doctor Who Magazine issue 295 with art by Lee Sullivan.
- Muriel Frost becomes the first character created for the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip to be featured in an audio drama. She will later be followed by Frobisher, Izzy Sinclair, Maxwell Edison and others.
- Although this was the first audio drama to feature Mel in terms of release date, it is her final chronological appearance in the main range.
- This audio drama was recorded on 11 and 12 March 2000 at The Moat Studios.
- An older version of the Seventh Doctor would later return to Pompeii in August 79 in the company of Ace (PROSE: The Algebra of Ice), as would the Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble (TV: The Fires of Pompeii) and his future travelling companion Captain Jack Harkness, on multiple occasions (TV: The Doctor Dances).
- The Seventh Doctor is unaware that the eruption of Mount Vesuvius was triggered by his tenth incarnation in order to kill the Pyrovile. (TV: The Fires of Pompeii)
- Official The Fires of Vulcan page at bigfinish.com
- The Fires of Vulcan at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for The Fires of Vulcan at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide