It's the long-awaited return of a deadly foe, as the Doctor and Clara face a monster that will have you checking your stack of comics for suspicious movement! Dare you continue reading, when every page turn could bring you into MORTAL DANGER?! You have to – you're the Doctor's only hope!
The Twelfth Doctor and Clara arrive in modern London because of some suspicious activity recorded by the TARDIS. While looking around, the doctor is sucked into a "time surgeon" comic. With the help of Clara, he escapes the comic and defeats the Boneless.
- The Doctor tells Clara he has no control over whether he can regenerate into a woman.
- The Bat, Amazonia, Steel Man, Spider-Guy, Time Surgeon, T-Men and Monkey Planet are all popular comic series.
- Time Surgeon is a comic series based on rumours of the Doctor.
- This is the final main Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor story to feature Clara Oswald (though she continued to be featured in the back-up strip).
- The Doctor has been known to break the fourth wall with viewers a number of times, such as the First Doctor wishing viewers a Merry Christmas at the end of an installment of TV: The Daleks' Master Plan. The Twelfth Doctor himself has done so on several occasions (TV: Deep Breath, Listen, Before the Flood, and Heaven Sent)
- This story was published not long after Pearl Mackie was announced the Doctor's new TV companion, Bill Potts. The character of Natalie, who becomes something of a one-off companion in this tale, was noted as strongly resembling Mackie. Artist Rachael Stott indicated on her Twitter feed that this was a coincidence.
Original print details
to be added
- Clara questions the Doctor's decision to park the TARDIS in broad daylight, but he tells her no one will notice it. (TV: Boom Town)
- The Eleventh Doctor previously visited the Prohibited Sphere store. (COMIC: Give Free or Die)
- The Boneless return. (TV: Flatline)
- When the Doctor is breaking through the "fourth wall", some of the stray comic book panels show images from Clara Oswald and the School of Death.
- The Doctor mentions the Empress of the Racnoss. (TV: The Runaway Bride)