a real world point of view
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Post production:||Andy Hardwick|
|Cover by:||Lee Binding|
|Release date:||February 2005|
|Format:||6 Episodes on 2 CDs|
|Big Finish Doctor Who audio stories|
The Game was the sixty-sixth monthly Doctor Who audio story produced by Big Finish Productions. Released in February 2005, it featured the Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor and Sarah Sutton as Nyssa. It is the only Fifth Doctor story in audio or television to be six episodes long.
Publisher's summary Edit
On the planet Cray, it's game time...
The Gora and the Lineen are set to face off in the grudge match to end all grudge matches. The players are limbering up, the commentators are preparing, the fans are daubing themselves in their team's colours.
The arena is set, and the kick-off is approaching...
When the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa arrive, however, they find that Naxy is a sport that anyone can play ... whether they want to or not. Cray's entire future depends on the match's outcome, but the time travellers soon realise that it is anything but just a game...
to be added
- The Doctor - Peter Davison
- Nyssa - Sarah Sutton
- Ambassador Faye Davis - Ursula Burton
- Ockle Dirr - Robert Curbishley
- Coach Bela Destry - Gregory Donaldson
- Morian - Christopher Ellison
- Hollis Az - Andrew Lothian
- Garny Diblick - Jonathan Pearce
- Lord Darzil Carlisle - William Russell
- Coach Sharz Sevix - Dickon Tolson
- Cray has recently been twinned with Earth, a status which causes much embarrassment to Earth due to Cray's poor reputation and ongoing civil war.
- The planet Galtry is on the other side of Cray's galaxy and uses coin currency.
- Velosian bornoxes are dog-like bipeds capable of being tamed and trained to kill.
- Mayzerians naturally emit a highly addictive pheromone with effects like a love potion. They come from Maser.
Units of time Edit
- A rev is equivalent to forty Earth minutes.
- This is one of Big Finish's few Doctor Who releases that is six parts long as usually they are four-part stories. It is also the only monthly release to have three episodes per disc. Because the total running time of the play is still around 120 minutes, it has the shortest average episode length of any monthly release.
- William Russell (Lord Darzil Carlisle) previously played the First Doctor's companion Ian Chesterton and would later reprise his role in AUDIO: The Transit of Venus, Farewell, Great Macedon, The Fragile Yellow Arc of Fragrance, The Rocket Men, The Five Companions, The Wanderer, The Revenants, The Time Museum and The Flames of Cadiz.
- Jonathan Pearce, who plays the Naxy commentator Garny Diblick, is a BBC football commentator in real life.
- This audio drama was recorded on 27 October, 28 October and 29 October 2004 at The Moat Studios.
to be added
- Official The Game page at bigfinish.com
- The Game at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for The Game at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide