The Glass Prison was the fifth novel published by Big Finish Productions as part of their Bernice Summerfield series. This was the final paperback Bernice Summerfield novel published by Big Finish and also the last full length Bernice Summerfield novel published for some time, until 2004's The Big Hunt. This novel features the birth of Bernice Summerfield's son Peter with the naming ceremony for him featuring cameos of several characters going back to Virgin's Virgin Bernice Summerfield New Adventures range. This is writer Jacqueline Rayner's second original contribution to the Bernice Summerfield range.
Publisher's summary Edit
Once you're inside, there's nowhere to hide. They can see your every movement. They control you. You're going to be watched for the rest of your life, wherever you go, whoever you are. Even if you're a professor of archaeology. Even if you're a friend of the famous Irving Braxiatel, and you've written several popular coffee-table books.
Even if you're pregnant. Even if your baby's due any day now.
But, of course, they know all about your baby. And they're planning to take it away.
That is, if the loony cultists you're locked up with don't get it first.
to be added
- Bernice Summerfield
- The Wolf
- Kolonel Daglan Straklant
- Dr Doom
- Irving Braxiatel
- Jason Kane
- Adrian Wall
- Isaac Summerfield
- Michael Doran
- Jayne Waspo
- Emile Mars-Smith
- Tameka Vito
- Chris Cwej
- Starl Stanmore
- Avril Fenman
- "The Wolf" is head honcho in the women's prison and leader of a cult.
- Claire, as a Pakhar, is shorter than Benny, coming up to her waist.
- Benny names her baby Peter Guy Summerfield.
- Wolsey likes to sunbathe in Mr Croton's greenhouse.
- The Fifth Axis hold the planet Deirbhile as a strategic position, and for its Glass Prison made of an impregnable glass (except to a half-human, half Killoran baby's scream).
- Bernice Summerfield gives birth (via C-section in a prison) to her half-Killoran half human baby.
- Clare is midwife for Bernice and her baby.
- The Fifth Axis appears to have been defeated.
- Claire (aka Clar'atol) is a Pakhar.
- The Aseks are featureless, colourless humanoids employed by the Fifth Axis as wardens in the Glass Prison.
- Terpsechians are walrus-sized aliens.
Television series Edit
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer is in its 792nd season.
- Irving Braxiatel has bought himself a space yacht.
- This is the last paperback Benny novel published by Big Finish Productions.
- The next full length Bernice Summerfield novel was released some two years following the publication of this novel. In May 2004 PROSE: The Big Hunt was published. However there were several short story anthologies and audio stories published between this novel and The Big Hunt.
- The Glass Prison is not currently listed on the Big Finish Productions website.
- Benny was impregnated by Adrian Wall when Avril body-swapped her in PROSE: The Squire's Crystal.
- Jason returned to this universe in PROSE: The Infernal Nexus.
- Benny met and then subsequently made sure Kolonel Daglan Straklant of the Fifth Axis was placed in prison in PROSE: The Doomsday Manuscript.
- Benny gives her son the middle name Guy after Guy de Carnac, whom she met in PROSE: Sanctuary.
- Michael Doran, Jayne Waspo first appeared in PROSE: Oh No It Isn't!.
- Tameka first appeared in PROSE: Beyond the Sun.
- Emile Mars-Smith also first appeared in Beyond the Sun and last appeared in PROSE: Twilight of the Gods.
- Jason laments that Peter's naming is like his and Bernice's wedding (PROSE: Happy Endings).
- Shell, Arko, Forno and Starl Stanmore appeared in PROSE: The Gods of the Underworld.
- Chris Cwej last appeared in PROSE: Twilight of the Gods, in which he was physically and temporally (though not mentally) regressed to the age of approximately thirteen.
- The Fifth Axis returns in PROSE: Life During Wartime and AUDIO: Death and the Daleks.
- Benny mentions the cricket match at her wedding. Jason said that the last time he didn't know half the people in attendance at a formal affair was the his wedding. Their wedding occurs in PROSE: Happy Endings