|The Hollow Men|
|Main setting:||Hexen Bridge, 2000s|
|Writer:||Keith Topping and Martin Day|
|Release date:||6 April 1998|
|Format:||Paperback Book; 20 Chapters, 284 Pages|
|BBC Past Doctor Adventures|
|The Witch Hunters||Catastrophea|
Publisher's summary Edit
The village was cursed centuries ago, but only now is the alien evil beginning to revive...
The children of Hexen Bridge are gifted and clever, but insanity and murder follow in their wake. The Doctor has a special interest in the village, but on his return to England in the early twenty-first century, events seem to be escalating out of control.
Kidnapped and taken to Liverpool, the Seventh Doctor realises that developments in Hexen Bridge have horrifying repercussions for the rest of the country. Ace is left in the village, where small-minded prejudices and unsettled scores are flaring into violence.
As scarecrows fashioned from the bodies of the recent and ancient dead stalk the country lanes around Hexen Bridge, a sinister dark stain is spreading over the surrounding fields. And as the fierce evil grows ever stronger, can the Doctor and Ace prevent it from engulfing the entire world?
to be added
- Seventh Doctor
- Steven Chen
- Trevor Winstone
- Kenneth Shanks
- Phillip Burridge
- Matthew Hatch
- Dr Nicholas Bevan
- Rebecca Baber
- Thomas Baber
- Nicola Denman
- Thomas Denman
- Bob Matson
- Joanna Matson
- Billy Tyley
- Don Tyley
- Megan Tyley
- The Second Doctor had a holiday with Jamie and Victoria in Grasmere.
- Shanks met Nyssa while Denman met Tegan.
- Jerak was created by the Hakolians and is the second War Machine in their invasion.
- Jerak exists in another dimension accessible via a mirror.
- This book is also available as an ebook from the Amazon Kindle store.
- While the back cover sets this story between The Curse of Fenric and Survival, the fact Perivale is on the Doctor's list seems to indicate it takes place after the latter story.
- Somewhat of a sequel, this story is related to the television story The Awakening.
- The story seems to date The Daemons to 1971.
- This story takes place in "the early years" of the 21st century, with reference made to Tuesday the 17 June. June 17th was a Tuesday only in 2003 and 2008. Another character refers to the Great Drought of '02, so it could be either year.
- Steven Taylor's name is misspelled as "Stephen."
- The Doctor first became aware of an alien presence in Hexen Bridge during the aftermath of the Devil's End incident. (TV: The Daemons)
- After his adventure in Little Hodcombe, the Doctor, with the help of Jane Hampden, acquired a place on the board of governors at Hexen Bridge School so that he could keep an eye on the area. (TV: The Awakening)
- Ace says she hates fascists as much as she hates clowns. (TV: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy)
- She tells Stephen the last time she was at a church she was being chased by vampires. (TV: The Curse of Fenric)
- The Doctor remembers being in London with Steven Taylor and Sara Kingdom at Christmas. (TV: The Daleks' Master Plan)
- He has a 'To Do List' including leaving a settee in Perivale, (TV: Survival) and returning to Planet 14. (TV: The Invasion) According to one account, it was the Sixth Doctor who left the settee in Perivale. (COMIC: Emeror of the Daleks!)
- The Doctor remembers regenerating from a fatal fall. (TV: Logopolis)
- The Doctor has previously encountered alien scarecrows (COMIC: The Night Walkers) and will do so again. (TV: Human Nature/The Family of Blood)