|The Hounds of Artemis|
|Main enemy:||The Hound of Artemis|
|Main setting:||Smyrna, 1929|
|Read by:||Matt Smith, Clare Corbett|
|Release date:||5 May 2011 |
|NSA audio stories|
|The Jade Pyramid||The Gemini Contagion|
The Hounds of Artemis was an exclusive-to-audio story from AudioGo released in May 2011. The story is read by Matt Smith and Clare Corbett, marking the first time that BBC Audio has had two actors perform an audio story since the revival in 2005.
Publisher's summary Edit
When Lord Woolcroft and his team break open the fabled Tomb of Artemis, sealed for thousands of years, they are astonished by what they find inside...
The Doctor and Amy have come to Smyrna in 1929 to investigate a mystery. The Doctor knows something very bad happened there: something caused a lot of people to die and an entire, magnificent Temple to be found and then immediately lost again.
But he doesn't know what is picking off the archaeologists one by one, or how it is connected to the terrifying howling in the night. And as he and Amy get closer to the terrible truth behind an ancient evil, he begins to wish he'd never found out.
- Eleventh Doctor
- Amy Pond
- Lord Woolcroft
- Bradley Stapleton
- Helen Stapleton
- Miss Van-der Cass
- Priestess Sophia
to be added
- The Guardian released an advance copy of the story on 19 February 2011.
- The story was also available as a download from the AudioGO website before the company went into administration.
The Hounds of Artemis was originally announced for release on 8 April 2010, which would have made it the first major spin-off project to feature the Eleventh Doctor and the first audio story to feature the Doctor and Amy. It was delayed to 3 June. Shortly after, it was delayed to April 2011. It was delayed again, for unknown reasons, until 5 May 2011.
- The story was originally going to be read by Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, but for unknown reasons, this never materialised. Instead, Clare Corbett instead acts as narrator, reading entries from Amy's diary.
- The Doctor once again uses the alias of "John Smith". (TV: Spearhead from Space etc)
- The Doctor yet again says "bow ties are cool". (TV: The Eleventh Hour et al)
- The Doctor sees fish custard at the feast of Artemis. (TV: The Eleventh Hour)
- Amy runs past a crack on one of the walls of the temple whilst trying to escape the hounds. The cause of this is revealed in TV: The Big Bang.
- The Doctor claims to be from the Scarman Institute, clearly named for celebrated archaeologist Marcus Scarman. (TV: Pyramids of Mars)
- The Doctor says he can almost see the planet Vortis. (TV: The Web Planet)