It took everything the Doctor had to defeat a SINGLE Hyperion – a mad and ancient living star that had been sealed away for millennia by the Time Lords. Now Hyperion tombs are opening all across the cosmos, with one awakening on the very edge of the solar system – with vengeance in its heart... How can the Doctor and Clara hope to stop the fury of the Hyperions from consuming Earth?!
Part one Edit
On the International Space Station, Cory complains to Jay in Houston about his fellow astronauts singing. An alarm goes off. Quinn tells Major Weir there are two suns in the sky, and one is coming towards them. She tries evasive manoeuvres, but the object follows and collides with the station, destroying it and killing the crew.
In the Lake District, the object lands atop a fisherman's boat in Windermere. Kate Stewart briefs the cabinet, and informs them helicopters have been sent to the area. They find the nearby towns destroyed and the lake completely evaporated, leaving an alien ship. The ship shoots down the helicopters. Ground troops are similarly destroyed. In the briefing room, a signal comes in on all channels: "Hyperios Rises".
The Twelfth Doctor and Clara Oswald land in London, but the streets are empty and everything is scorched. Clara doesn't believe they're in 2015 until the Doctor points out the Gherkin and the Shard. At Westminster Abbey, the pair accidentally separate. Clara goes inside, and runs into a man with an axe.
Outside, the Doctor sonics the dust and finds it has human DNA. A medical student points a gun at him, but the Doctor quickly disarms him. All of a sudden, the dust begins to stir, and grabs the student.
Clara sneaks up on the man with the axe and kicks him in the groin. She is attacked by a dust creature, but the man smashes it with the axe. He introduces himself as Sam and tells her about the Scorched, those who were burned first but didn't die.
Back outside, the Doctor faces an army of the Scorched, chanting "Burn!"
Part two Edit
to be added
Part three Edit
to be added
Part four Edit
to be added
- Chris Hadfield was an astronaut on the ISS.
- Dimitri Yemtov sings "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper" and Lee Jae-Yong sings "Gangnam Style".
- Cory refers to The X Factor, Captain Kirk, Han Solo, and Justin Bieber.
- Kate mentions the Tunguska Event in 1908.
- The helicopters are from RAF Spadeadam.
- The Doctor observes that the Gerkin and the Shard are buildings shaped like "vegetables" and "giant toothpicks".
- Clara teaches her first-year class tae kwon do.
- Clara is surprised to learn that the fireman's name is Sam, to which Sam replies that he has "heard all the jokes". This is referencing the popular children's cartoon Fireman Sam.
- Clara paraphrases a famous quote from the film Casablanca with the line "of all the planets, in all the galaxies in all the universe, why'd they have to invade mine?".
- The Hyperions have reached a new stage of evolution, known as "Supernova".
- Sam refers to the TARDIS's interior dimensions as being like Narnia, Monty Python and Roald Dahl. The Doctor claims that Dahl had an even darker sense of humour than himself, only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The release information places this story after the Four Doctors crossover event and between Last Christmas and The Magician's Apprentice.
- Due to a delay, Relative Dimensions, the following story in the series, was published in-between Parts Three and Four.
Original print details Edit
to be added
- The Doctor and Clara previously encountered and defeated a lone Hyperion. (COMIC: Terrorformer)
- Questioning the time they landed in London, Clara references the Great Fire of London and The Blitz. (TV: The Visitation, The Empty Child)
- The Doctor points out The Shard as evidence they've landed in 2015. (TV: The Bells of Saint John)
- The Doctor uses Venusian karate. (TV: Inferno, Robot of Sherwood, COMIC: Terrorformer)
- Clara recalls the Doctor's "standy-up cat-naps". (TV: Deep Breath)
- Sam wonders if the Doctor would use his sonic screwdriver to build a cabinet. (TV; The Doctor Dances, Day of the Moon)
- Clara claims to be the Doctor's "carer". (TV: Into the Dalek)
- The Doctor is once again elected President of Earth. (TV: Death in Heaven)
- The Doctor expresses a desire to add more roundels to his control room. He eventually would. (TV: The Magician's Apprentice)
- Clara reflects on having lost someone recently. (TV: Dark Water / Death in Heaven)
- The Doctor refers to himself as a "dandy". (TV: The Three Doctors)