|The Last Day|
|Main enemy:||The Daleks|
|Main setting:||Arcadia, Gallifrey|
|Premiere broadcast:||20 November 2013|
|Doctor Who television stories|
|The Night of the Doctor||The Day of the Doctor|
- You may be looking for The Last Days.
The Last Day was a mini episode released on 20 November 2013 as part of the run-up to the 50th anniversary special. It gave viewers a look into the Last Great Time War from the perspective of a Gallifreyan soldier, and showed the beginning volleys of the Fall of Arcadia, one of the final battles that happened right before the Doctor ended the Time War. As of May 2014[update], it is the only televised story set exclusively in the era of the War Doctor, though he does not make an appearance.
A soldier opens his eyes to see a man standing over him. The man, also a soldier, wears an outfit with the Seal of Rassilon. The first soldier has been fitted with a headcam. As the other man explains its use in recording his thoughts, the newly-awakened soldier experiences frightening images. His instructor tells him not to worry about these hallucinations, and to disregard rumours that they are premonitions. He then takes him to the rooftop for his post. There, another soldier tells him that they are protected by impenetrable sky trenches. This makes Arcadia the safest place on Gallifrey. If even one Dalek did get through however, it could destroy the entire city. As the soldier is instructed on monitoring for possible intrusions, he is told to zoom in on a small object some ways away. He finds that it is a Dalek. This is not an illusion. Suddenly, many more Daleks appear behind it. As they fire, his headcam goes blank. The last sound heard in the background is a chilling death cry of anguish.
- Time Lord soldier 2 - TBC
- Arcadia is protected by sky trenches, and is therefore considered the safest place on Gallifrey.
- Soldiers positioned in Arcadia have headcams installed into their brains, both to show to their families following death and to record the soldier's final moments for official record. The recording is censored, with violence and language deemed unsuitable for the soldiers' children cut out.
- A side effect of the headcam are hallucinations, that could be interpreted as premonitions. The installation can also temporarily impair speech.
- The soldier's red armour and round helmet design resemble the Chancellery Guard's uniforms from TV: The Deadly Assassin and TV: The Invasion of Time.
to be added
- The Tenth Doctor later referred to having been at the Fall of Arcadia during the Time War. (TV: Doomsday)
- The Fall of Arcadia and the Doctor's involvement in it is shown in TV: The Day of the Doctor.
- Some of the Gallifreyan soldiers have Northern accents, backing up the Ninth Doctor's assertion that "lots of planets have a North" when he defended his own accent as a native one of Gallifrey. (TV: Rose)
Home video releases
The Last Day was also included on both the DVD and Blu-ray releases of The Day of the Doctor.