a real world point of view
|The Lonely Computer|
|Main enemy:||Momus the Wise|
|Main setting:||Belgium, 800|
Planet 12 of the Ridion Alliance
|Printed in:||BBC website, 2008|
|Online fiction -|
|The Frozen||Number 1, Gallows Gate Road|
The Lonely Computer was a short prose story published online on two pages. It totalled 3,055 words.
Landing in 800, The Doctor and Donna find Holy Roman Emperor Charlemagne kidnapped by an insane computer...
When trying to reach 1985 for a shopping trip, the TARDIS drags the Tenth Doctor and Donna off course by twelve hundred years, landing them in Belgium in the year 800. They arrive in a pantry used for storing vegetables and meat. Using his sonic screwdriver, the Doctor opens the only door available but are told to stop by two guards who takes them into the kitchen. A man named Baldebert confronts them and declares the Doctor the Emperor's official food taster. Baldebert welcomes them to the court of Charlemagne. He lets the Doctor taste several dishes to see if they are poisoned. In the middle of testing, a young boy named Macon runs in, declaring that Charlemagne had disappeared. The Doctor becomes worried, because the Emperor had a meeting with the Pope later that day and if that meeting did not happen, Charlemagne would never have been crowned head of the Roman Empire. The Doctor and Donna follow Macon to where Charlemagne had disappeared. There the Doctor finds quantum detritus, left behind when someone or something has been taken out of time.
The Doctor and Donna disappear and find themselves in a long abandoned palace. A booming voice informs them that they are in the Palace of Hy-Ridion; the Doctor looks out the window. They are not on Earth. The voice introduces itself as Momus and says they are on Planet 12 of the Ridion Alliance. Momus says that the Doctor is the final guest in the Great Dinner Party, which Momus has spent a long time gathering. Momus himself is a small computer hovering in the air. A hidden door in the wall opens to reveal some of history's greatest leaders, artists and scientists (including Charlemagne) who are arguing and demanding that they be released. The Doctor has a talk with Momus, who says that after his planet's population of great scientists decreased after the Seven Hundred Year War, he decided to bring all of Earth's greatest minds to bring the planet to a new age. The Doctor reasons with Momus and persuades him to take the people home.
- Tenth Doctor
- Donna Noble
- Winston Churchill
- Noel Coward
- Francis Drake
- Joan of Arc
Donna also thinks she recognises Galileo Galilei but his presence was not confirmed.
- "If I Could Turn Back Time" written by Diane Warren and performed by Cher.
- I, Claudius is referenced by the Doctor as a television series featuring the Roman Emperor Caligula. At the end of the series, when Claudius is dying, all the main characters come before his eyes and say goodbye to him. This has been said to have inspired the way in which the Fourth Doctor regenerated in TV: Logopolis.
- The Last Great Time War.
- The Seven Year War.
- KRH Timeloop Theory
- Donna claims to have worked in telemarketing, in which she was stuck with "primitives", one of which was obsessed with Manchester United Football Club.
to be added
- The Fourth Doctor previously met Boudica in the company of Leela in Norfolk during her revolt against the occupying Roman forces in 60. (AUDIO: The Wrath of the Iceni)
- The Doctor would later recall walking through the forest with a bow and arrow in TV: The Unicorn and the Wasp.