Romana has no patience for this right now. She can feel that a regeneration is near. Although most Time Lord regenerations occur when the Time Lord body is damaged beyond repair, sometimes subtle damages build up. Romana thinks this is what happened to her, with the chronodyne's influence starting the process.
Iraj takes the form of Princess Astra, to Romana's horror. Iraj goes to the control room to see the Doctor. She comes back to complain to Romana that he barely noticed her. She tries three more forms; when Romana loses patience with her, she freezes Romana in place. She then joins the Doctor in Astra's form, wearing an outfit in the same style as the Doctor's.
Romana, frozen in place, is unable to tell how much time has passed. Iraj finally returns to tell Romana about an adventure she and the Doctor had with Davros and the Daleks. She again grumbles that the Doctor barely noticed her. Romana finally realises that Iraj is a manifestation of the TARDIS. She manages to convince Iraj that the Doctor cares for her. Iraj apologises, and offers to help Romana through her regeneration.
When Romana finally regenerates, she is shocked to discover herself in Astra's form.
- Romana has not yet learned how to stop her hearts.
- Romana has heard rumours that some Time Lords can regenerate to order, choosing their new forms, but she cannot do it yet.
- Romana wonders how K9 negotiates the step at the TARDIS door.
- The title is a play on C. S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, as are COMIC: The Professor, the Queen and the Bookshop and TV: The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe.
- This story establishes that the Romana seen in Destiny of the Daleks was in fact a manifestation of the TARDIS, who would again achieve humanoid form in The Doctor's Wife.