The Macra Terror was a novelisation based on the 1967 television serial The Macra Terror.
Publisher's summary Edit
In the far future a group of humans is living an idyllic existence on a distant planet. Their colony is run like a gigantic holiday camp and nothing seems to trouble their carefree existence.
When one of them claims that the colony is being invaded by hideous monsters, no one takes him seriously. But the Doctor's suspicions are immediately aroused.
What is the terrible menace that lurks at the heart of this apparent paradise? Why are the colonists unaware of the danger that lies before their very eyes? And what is the Macra Terror?
Chapter titles Edit
- Interference on the Scanner
- A Wash and Brush-up
- The Man Who Suffered from Delusions
- There's Really Nothing There
- A Voice in the Night
- The Colony by Night
- Down the Pit
- A Breath of Fresh Air
- One of the Dancers
- Forbidden Territory
- Four Minutes to Countdown
Deviations from televised story Edit
- Rather than proclaim, "There are no Macra in the colony", the Controller states, "There are no Macra men in the colony".
- Unlike the televised version, Medok survives his attack in forbidden ground and escapes the Macra. He even witnesses the TARDIS take off, though he decides not to tell anyone about this.
- Whilst the Doctor and Polly figure what will happen to Jamie in the disused shaft, the Doctor theorises about the Macra, on how they came to live underground and how they gained control on the colony.
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- No photographic reference material was available to cover artist Tony Masero, who based his design on real crabs.
- Range editor Nigel Robinson was unsuccessful in trying to encourage writer Ian Stuart Black to write in the more adult way that he intended for the range by emphasising the mind controlling aspect of the story.
- Dedication: Especially for the entertainment of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society (amongst others)
- Inside back cover colour details of Fantastic Doctor Who Poster Offers.
Additional cover images Edit
to be added
British publication history Edit
- Hardback (July 1987)
- W.H.Allen & Co. Ltd. UK ISBN 0-491-03227-7, copies priced £7.95 (UK))
- Paperback (December 1987)
- Target / W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. Two paperback editions, estimated first print run: 25,500, priced £1.95 (UK).
to be added