Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Unlike other fictional universes, the Doctor Who universe is created solely by fiction. To us, this is a secondary source. Information from this source can only be used in "behind the scenes" sections, or on pages about real world topics.
|The Making of Doctor Who|
|Written by:||Terrance Dicks and Malcolm Hulke|
|Publisher:||Piccolo Books, Target Books|
|Release date:||20 April 1972 (first edition), 16 December 1976 (second edition)|
|Format:||Paperback, 115 pages (1972 edition), 128 pages (1976 edition)|
|ISBN 0-330-23203-7 (1972 edition), ISBN 0-426-11615-1 (1976 edition)|
Publisher's summary Edit
First edition Edit
What happened when Doctor Who was put on trial by the Time Lords? Why did he agree to help UNIT? This fascinating book tells you everything about the Doctor and his adventures, the points in Space and Time he has visited, the aliens and monsters he has defeated. One of the most famous and longest running BBC serials of all time, Doctor Who depends for its success on the enthusiasm of everyone working on the show. Come inside the TV studio and meet them, learn how the Daleks and the Cybermen came into being and how the special effects work. What happens in Doctor Who often seems impossible. But is it? Could it all be true?
Second edition Edit
Here it is... the story behind one of television's most successful, longest-running shows. Come with Doctor Who on a trip through time... to the early days of the programme when it all began... meet actors, authors and television staff... see inside a TV studio and watch a production take shape... learn the secrets of the monsters... relive every Doctor Who story since the beginning... follow the Doctor through four incarnations and — perhaps — begin to discover just who is Doctor Who?
Subject matter Edit
A behind-the-scenes guide to the production of Doctor Who.delta sigma chi
Notable features Edit
- A summary of the Doctor's adventures to date, written from the point of view of the Time Lord prosecutors in The War Games. (First edition)
- Sample pages relating to the production of The Sea Devils, including Hulke's story outline and scene breakdown, a sample rehearsal script page, the film diary, and a sample camera script page. (First edition)
- Script-to-screen account of the Fourth Doctor's debut adventure Robot, later novelised by author Terrance Dicks as Doctor Who and the Giant Robot. (Second edition)
Second edition Edit
- The Target Books edition was a complete rewrite of the previous edition aimed more at younger readers.
- This release marked the fourth occasion in which Target had republished a work previously issued by another publisher, following the reissuing of the Frederick Muller novelisations that kicked off the Doctor Who novelisation book line.
- Chris Achilleos provided the cover artwork.
- It had a print run of 50,000 copies and was priced 60p (UK).
- This title saw a reprint by Target Books, W. H. Allen in on 20th March 1980 of 15,000 copies. Despite the, by then, out-of-date information in the first printing, the only difference was a price increase to £1.80 (UK).
- Along with two-dozen Target novelisations, copies of The Making of Doctor Who were included in randomly selected bagged editions of Doctor Who Magazine published in July 2008. (These were all original, backstock copies, not reprints.)
- A PDF of the original Piccolo Books edition of The Making of Doctor Who was included on the DVD release of The Sea Devils.