|The Mark of the Rani|
|Based on:||The Mark of the Rani|
|Main enemy:||The Rani, The Master|
|Main setting:||Killingworth, England, the early 1800s|
|Publisher:||Target Books, W.H. Allen|
|Writer:||Pip and Jane Baker|
|Cover by:||Andrew Skilleter|
|Release date:||12 June 1986|
|Format:||Hardcover and paperback editions; 22 Chapters, 135 Pages|
|Vengeance on Varos||The Two Doctors|
Publisher's summary Edit
But also present is the Rani, another exile from Gallifrey, who is conducting her own evil experiments on the humans of the nineteenth century. Soon the Doctor discovers that the female of the species is far, far deadlier than the male...
Chapter titles Edit
- House Of Evil
- The Scarecrow
- The Old Crone
- Death Fall
- Enter The Rani
- Miasimia Goria
- A Deadly Signature
- Face To Face
- Triumph Of The Master
- A Change Of Loyalty
- Fools Rush In
- An Unpleasant Surprise
- Taken For A Ride
- The Bait
- Life In The Balance
- More Macabre Memorials
- Birth Of A Carnivore
- The Final Question
Deviations from televised story Edit
to be added
Writing and publishing notes Edit
- Because of the reasons relating to the use of the likenesses of certain actors on covers without their permission, approval and renumeration, actress Kate O'Mara's character, the Rani, was illustrated on the cover as a generic "old crone".
- Cover artist Andrew Skilleter was unhappy about not being able to use Kate O'Mara's likeness on the cover, a cover which although unused was the one he received the largest payment for.
- This was Andrew Skilleter's last cover commissioned for Target Books which suffered a delay in its delivery as a result of his increased workload, having recently set up a his new company, Who Dares Publishing. He provided new cover artwork for the BBC video releases, which were also used on the late reprinted Target books.
- Jane Baker becomes only the second woman to be credited with authoring (or in this case, co-authoring) an official Doctor Who novel. She is the only female writer to be involved in more than one novelisation.
- Although numbered #107 in the Doctor Who library, the book was actually the 106th to be released; this was because Vengeance on Varos was delayed by over two years and its number #106 was not reassigned. All the books from numbers 107 until 128 are thus one number out from publication order.
Cover Gallery Edit
British publication history Edit
- W.H. Allen & Co. Ltd. UK