|The Master's TARDIS|
|Type:||Type 45 TARDIS|
|Place of origin:||Gallifrey|
|First seen in:||Terror of the Autons|
The Master's first known TARDIS was a Type 45. (PROSE: The Dark Path) During his Earth-based vendetta against the Third Doctor and UNIT, the Master used a TARDIS with a Mark II dematerialisation circuit. Unlike the Doctor's TARDIS, the Master's had a fully functioning chameleon circuit. (TV: Terror of the Autons)
It is unknown if the Master's TARDIS is somewhere at the end of the universe or if he escaped there via other means (TV: The Sound of Drums); he has since only travelled in time after stealing the Doctor's.
During his rivalry with the Doctor, the Master changed his TARDIS into several different forms:
- An Adjudication flyer (PROSE: The Dark Path)
- An out-of-date space locker (PROSE: The Dark Path)
- A horsebox (TV: Terror of the Autons)
- A white cube (TV: The Claws of Axos)
- A spaceship (while he posed as the Adjudicator) (TV: Colony in Space)
- A black Rolls-Royce limousine with darkened windows (PROSE: The Face of the Enemy)
- A bulkhead door aboard HMS Redoubt (PROSE: The Face of the Enemy)
- The Stone of Sacrifice in the cavern of the church at Devil's End (PROSE: The Face of the Enemy, PROSE: The Eight Doctors)
- A computer bank (TV: The Time Monster)
- A filing cabinet (PROSE: The Touch of the Nurazh)
- A control panel (PROSE: Legacy of the Daleks)
- A wardrobe (PROSE: Legacy of the Daleks)
- A grandfather clock (TV: The Deadly Assassin, The Keeper of Traken, PROSE: The Eight Doctors, AUDIO: Mastermind)
- A tank (AUDIO: The Light at the End)
- A red pillar box (AUDIO: The Light at the End)
- The Melkur (TV: The Keeper of Traken)
- A police box (TV: Logopolis, PROSE: The Quantum Archangel (Appeared as both a standard police box and a black-and-gold version of the same), AUDIO: UNIT: Dominion)
- A laurel bush (TV: Logopolis) (a cherry laurel, Prunus laurocerasus)
- A Doric column (TV: Logopolis, Castrovalva, Time-Flight, AUDIO: Dust Breeding)
- A marble fireplace (TV: Castrovalva)
- Speedbird Concorde 192 (TV: Time-Flight)
- An iron maiden (TV: The King's Demons)
- A three-sided column (TV: Planet of Fire)
- A wooden beach hut (TV: The Ultimate Foe)
- A statue of Queen Victoria (TV: The Ultimate Foe)
- A red telephone box (AUDIO: Eyes of the Master)
On Traken, the Master disguised a TARDIS as the Melkur. In this form, it was shown to be able to walk and could fire sonic beams from its eyes. When this TARDIS was destroyed, he fled in another he had kept in the former. This TARDIS was disguised as a grandfather clock. (TV: The Keeper of Traken)
While preparing a trap for the Fourth Doctor, the Master temporarily changed his ship into a police box. He later hid it inside the Cloister room as a laurel bush and finally as a stunted, brown Doric column. (TV: Logopolis) He tended to use a column as his TARDIS' "default" exterior. (TV: Castrovalva, Time-Flight, Planet of Fire)
Much of the time, the interior was simply a sombre, black version of the interior of the Doctor's TARDIS, sometimes with special equipment such as the Hadron web which he used to hold Adric captive. (TV: Castrovalva)
Companions who spent time in the Master's TARDIS after spending time in the Doctor's ship noted that the atmosphere of the Master's TARDIS was far less welcoming than that of the Doctor's ship, as though both TARDISes had adapted to the moods of their owners (PROSE: The Quantum Archangel).
The Master's library
Like the Doctor, the Master's TARDIS had a well-stocked library. The Master's interests, however, tended toward the evil and arcane. Among the more diabolical works he owned were the Necronomicon, shelved between the Liber Inducens in Evangelium Aeternum and The Black Scrolls of Rassilon. It also included the Book of Vile and its Black Appendix, The Ambuehl Lores and the Insidium of Astrolabus. (PROSE: The Quantum Archangel)
Once, the Master tricked the Doctor into materialising his TARDIS around the Master's, creating a dimensionally recursive loop, (TV: Logopolis) repeating a situation that had previously occurred accidentally. (TV: The Time Monster)
Other upgrades the Master has added to his TARDIS over the years include;
- A force field from a Farquazi time cruiser, which he stole during the 300th Segment of Time.
- A Sontaran Osmic Projector (bought from a rogue Sontaran on Veltriis 4).
- A DARDIS core stolen from Skaro.
- Klypstrmic warheads.
- An artron cannon.
- A vortex lance.
- A Rutan Analysis Engine.
- A Vortex Cloak stolen from the ruins of the Gubbage Cone Throneworld on the edge of the Great Attractor.
Behind the scenes
- The Master's console room and console tended to mirror the Doctor's due to the same set (temporarily repainted) and console being used for filming.