The TARDIS arrives in 1920s England, the Doctor, Jamie, Ben and Polly finding themselves in a wintry dusk beside a railway line. The station nearby appears deserted, but there are figures watching from the shadows, all of them waiting for a dead man's train...
to be added
to be added
- The Doctor/Jamie/Michael Thomas - Frazer Hines
- Polly/Frances - Anneke Wills
- Ben/The Signalman - Elliot Chapman
- The TARDIS keeps track of the Gregorian calendar, the Hebrew calendar and the Islamic calendar, among others.
- 1920 equates to 5681 in the Hebrew calendar.
- Kent is known as the garden of England.
- Ben served in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Frances' fiancé Michael Thomas was killed in World War I. He fought in the Somme.
- The Unknown Warrior was buried in the cemetery of Westminster Abbey.
- Jamie initially assumes that the First World War was fought against aliens.
- Ben's uncle fought in the Battle of Jutland. He was a crewmember of the Lion.
- Jamie describes Bonnie Prince Charlie as "the Boy Prince".
- The signalman tells the Doctor the story of the Phantom Light seen after the crash of Tay Bridge.
- This is the first time that the TARDIS has materialised on a train station platform in the 1920s. It would later do so again, both times during the Doctor's fifth incarnation, in Cranleigh on 11 June 1925 (TV: Black Orchid) and in Calcutta, British India on 31 December 1926 (AUDIO: The Emerald Tiger).
- Jamie refers to having fought in the Battle of Culloden on 16 April 1746. (TV: The Highlanders)
- The signalman refers to the collapse of the Tay Bridge on 28 December 1879. (COMIC: The Weeping Angels of Mons)