The Night Witches was the first story of the fourth season of The Early Adventures. It was written by Roland Moore and is also the first Big Finish Doctor Who audio story that he has written. It features the Second Doctor and Jamie McCrimmon, both of whom were voiced by Frazer Hines, Ben Jackson voiced by Elliot Chapman and Polly Wright voiced by Anneke Wills.
Publisher's summary Edit
When the TARDIS materialises north of Stalingrad in 1942, the Doctor, Jamie, Ben and Polly are captured by the Night Witches, an all-female unit of flyers tasked with disrupting the German forces nearing Moscow.
Polly, however, is receiving strange looks from the pilots and clearly unnerving them. When the TARDIS crew discover why this is, it becomes clear that they’re about to get far more involved in the war than they could possibly have imagined.
To be added.
- Polly Wright/Narrator - Anneke Wills
- Jamie McCrimmon/The Doctor - Frazer Hines
- Ben Jackson - Elliot Chapman
- Tatiana Kregki - Anjella Mackintosh
- Nadia Vasney - Wanda Opalinska
- Lilya Grankin - Kristina Buikaite
to be added
- This story was recorded at the Moat Studios.
- Anneke Wills was originally going to be the main voice of Tatiana before she expressed doubts about her ability to put on a convincing Russian accent. (BFX: The Night Witches) She does voice Tatiana when the character is impersonating Polly.
- This is the second story in The Early Adventures to place the Second Doctor, Jamie, Ben and Polly in World War II during 1942. The first is The Forsaken, which is a pseudo-historical story set in the war's Asian theatre. The same team also travelled to occupied France in 1944 in Resistance, part of The Companion Chronicles.
- The Doctor is teaching his companions how to fly the TARDIS, and they recall their previous adventure on New Houston. (AUDIO: The Yes Men)
- Ben compares the winter weather to the South Pole in December 1986. (TV: The Tenth Planet)
- The Doctor recalls a previous trip to Russia in 1812. (AUDIO: Mother Russia)
- The Doctor compares the standoff in the TARDIS to a gunfight in the Wild West. (TV: The Gunfighters)
- Polly recalls how she worked for Professor Brett and WOTAN, and how she met Ben in the Inferno nightclub, at the same time that she first met the Doctor and Dodo Chaplet in July 1966. (TV: The War Machines)