The Official Doctor Who & the Daleks Book
Unlike other fictional universes, the Doctor Who universe is created solely by fiction. To us, this is a secondary source. Information from this source can only be used in "behind the scenes" sections, or on pages about real world topics.
Publisher's summary edit
In December 1963, a seven-part serial called "The Daleks" appeared on British television — catapulting the offbeat new series Doctor Who to instant international fame. Through the years, the Daleks — half-robot, half-organic, totally evil beings — have returned again and again to firmly establish themselves as the Doctor's greatest foes. Now, for the first time, Terry Nation, creator of the Daleks, has teamed with John Peel to tell the complete story of the Daleks. This superb volume includes:
- A complete episode guide to the Dalek television stories, movies, and stage plays, including full credits, detailed story synopses, and behind-the-scenes information and anecdotes.
- A history of the Daleks, recounting in chronological order the complete story of their creation on the planet Skaro, their many campaigns for universal rule, and their eventual destruction — perhaps.
- "The Survivors", the never-before-published original story outline that became, with much rewriting, the first Dalek story — plus a synopsis of "The Destroyers", the never-filmed pilot story for an American Daleks TV series.
- Information on the Dalek books, records and comic strips — plus dozens of photos, drawings, and promotional materials, many of them rare and selected from Terry Nation's private collection.
Subject matter edit
- An introduction to the Daleks by John Peel
- A guide to all the Dalek TV stories to Revelation of the Daleks with around a paragraph of behind the scenes information (specifically relating to the Daleks).
- Chapters devoted to Dalek books, records, exhibitions and comic strips
Notable features edit
- 'The History of the Daleks', a seventy-four page history that works all of the TV stories (barring Remembrance of the Daleks) into one single history. It neatly explains how Genesis of the Daleks fits in with The Daleks. Given certain usages throughout the history, and the liberties taken, it is a good assumption that John Peel wrote this section, as terms and phrases used in the history turn up in PROSE: War of the Daleks and Legacy of the Daleks.
- Story outline for The Survivors; the original story outline for the story originally entitled The Survivors, this became the first story, The Daleks.
- Plot breakdown of The Destroyers; this is Terry Nation's unmade Dalek spin-off for American TV.
- Remembrance of the Daleks is not included in this book, even though it was published several months after the story was broadcast.