Publisher's summary Edit
Late 1939. Britain faces the might of Germany. Winston Churchill serves as First Lord of the Admiralty. But Churchill soon finds himself facing a more immediate threat than the looming Nazi menace. A "Stone" with the most mysterious properties is discovered in the Thames' sands, and soon oddly spoken soldiers are creeping round London ruthlessly trying to acquire it. Who are they? Can Churchill and his new secretary Hetty Warner defeat them? And what about the man in the battered leather jacket that Hetty meets? Churchill feels sure they can rely on the Doctor to help them! Except that this Doctor seems to want to stay hidden in the shadows...
to be added
- Winston Churchill - Ian McNeice
- Hetty Warner - Emily Atack
- Frederick Lindemann - Michael Gould
- Lt-Commander Sandy McNish - Derek Riddell
- Able Seaman Phillips - Phil Mulryne
- Churchill compares the Doctor to the Pied Piper of Hamlin.
- The Doctor talks about "his war".
- Churchill remembers serving in India.
- The stone is from Gallifrey, and was an attempt to preserve the planet.
- This story was recorded on 27-28 July & 30 July-31 July 2015.
- This is the first audio story featuring the Ninth Doctor to be wholly produced by Big Finish; Night of the Whisper was a co-production with AudioGo.
- The title refers to the nickname the Doctor was given by the Daleks.
- Inspired by RATS, Churchill believes a mechanical soldier could be instrumental to the war effort. Churchill would go on to implement a similar program through the development of the Ironsides. (TV: Victory of the Daleks)
- Churchill keeps butterflies in Chartwell Manor. (AUDIO: The Chartwell Metamorphosis)
- Churchill says he has met the Doctor on a number of occasions beforehand. (PROSE: Players, COMIC: The Eagle of the Reich)
- The Ninth Doctor would later visit London during the Blitz in 1941 with Rose Tyler. (TV: The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances)