The Paradise of Death (audio story)
|The Paradise of Death|
|Novelised as:||The Paradise of Death|
|Companion(s):||Sarah, the Brig, Jeremy|
|Main setting:||London, the 1970s|
|Premiere broadcast:||27 August - 24 September 1993|
|Premiere network:||BBC Radio|
|BBC Radio Dramas|
|none||The Ghosts of N-Space|
Publisher's summary edit
When a horrific and inexplicable death occurs at Space World, a new theme park on Hampstead Heath, UNIT is called in to investigate. The Doctor is highly suspicious. Just who controls the Parakon Corporation, the shadowy organisation behind the running of the park? What is "Experienced Reality" and what are the limits of its awesome powers?
to be added
- Third Doctor - Jon Pertwee
- Sarah Jane Smith - Elisabeth Sladen
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart - Nicholas Courtney
- Freeth - Harold Innocent
- Tragan - Peter Miles
- President - Maurice Denham
- Jeremy Fitzoliver - Richard Pearce
- Crestin / Bill / Radio Voice / Ambulance Man / Man - Andrew Wincott
- Nobby / Kitson / Wilkins / Soldier - Dominic Letts
- Grebber / Reporter - Brian Hall
- Clorinda / Sec. Gen. of the U.N. - Jillie Meers
- General Commanding Unit - John Hardwood
- Odun / Patrol Leader - John Fleming
- Captain Waldo Rudley - Jonathan Tafler
- Onya - Jane Slavin
- Greckle - Emma Myant
- Rasco Heldal - Michael Onslow
- Medan / Hunter - David Holt
- Echolocation Operator / Lexhan - Julian Rhind Tutt
- Kaido / Guard 2 / Ungar / Custodian of Data Store / Jenhegger - Trevor Martin
- Yallett / Officer of the Day - Philip Anthony
The Doctor edit
- The Doctor survives a long fall through use of bone relaxation to avoid fractures.
- The Doctor used to ride skimmers on Gallifrey during his childhood with his friends, which are likened to bicycles.
- This story puts a different spin on the opening moments of TV: Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Television viewers may have thought the opening moments of Dinosaurs directly followed the closing scene of TV: The Time Warrior. This story suggests otherwise, depicting the first meeting of the Brigadier and Sarah Jane Smith.
- Sarah tries to interview the Doctor for the Metropolitan — but the Doctor bristles once he figures out what she's up to.
- This is the only performed story where Sarah's co-workers at the Metropolitan get a look-in. We hear her negotiate with her editor for financial support and a cameraman and we're introduced to Jeremy Fitzoliver, the son of the magazine's majority shareholder.
- The Doctor mentions the instance the TARDIS got stuck inside The Master's TARDIS and was on the verge of a time ram. (TV: The Time Monster)
- The Doctor speak of his and Sarah's recent encounter with Irongron. (TV: The Time Warrior)
- The Brigadier asks the Doctor about the Blinovitch Limitation Effect. (TV: Day of the Daleks)
- The Doctor sings a Venusian lullaby with less success than he had with Aggedor. (TV: The Curse of Peladon)
- This story was originally broadcast on BBC Radio 5 in 1993.
- It was released on double cassette in September 1993.
- It was released on CD on 6 March 2000.
- It was re-released as part of The BBC Radio Episodes box set on 6 June 2011.
- It is now available for sale as a download on iTunes.
- Main article: The Paradise of Death (novelisation)
- A novelisation by Barry Letts was published in 1994. It was the final release in the long-running Target Books novelisation series.
- The Paradise of Death at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- DisContinuity for The Paradise of Death at Tetrapyriarbus - The DisContinuity Guide