a real world point of view
|Main setting:||Althosian system, 2400|
|Release date:||March 1993|
|Format:||Paperback Book, 276 Pages|
|Virgin New Adventures|
|The Highest Science||Deceit|
Publisher's summary Edit
For two weeks now it has been the same message again and again, and it’s getting stronger; death and destruction, the end of all things, Armageddon.
In an attempt to lift the Doctor out of his irritable and erratic mood, Bernice suggests he investigates the mystery of the Seven Planets - an entire planetary system that disappeared without trace several decades before Bernice was born.
One of the Seven Planets is a nameless giant, quarantined against all intruders. But when the TARDIS materialises, it becomes clear that the planet has other visitors: a hit-squad of killer androids; a trespassing scientist and his wife; and two shape-changing criminals with their team of slaves.
As riot and anarchy spread on the system’s colonised worlds, the Doctor is flung into another universe while Bernice closes in on the horror that is about to be unleashed - a horror that comes from a terrible secret in the Time Lords’ past.
to be added
- The Doctor
- Bernice Summerfield
- General Kopyion Liall a Mahajetsu
- William Blake
- The Archon
- Major John Carlson
- Bulbir Singh Mann
- Acamedian Brown
- Melanie Carlson
- The Fellowship
- Colonel Philips
Astronomical objects Edit
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor kneels to Kopyion Liall a Mahajetsu.
- The most pious person the Doctor has ever met is a French Jesuit Missionary in Africa.
- The Seal of Rassilon is an ancient symbol for warding off evil.
- Gallifrey translates to literally mean "they that walk in shadows".
Individual Gallifreyans Edit
- General Kopyion Liall a Mahajetsu is a Gallifreyan military leader against Yssgaroth. He only has one arm.
- Bernice Summerfield is now 31 years old.
- A prelude to this novel was published in DWM 197.
- TV: State of Decay introduced the legend of the Time Lords' war against the Great Vampires. General Kopyion is revealed as Kopyion Liall a Mahajetsu, the legendary Time Lord who led the war.
- Rassilon's experiments and the war with the Vampires are further outlined in PROSE: Interference - Book Two.
- The Doctor may have been partially aware of the events of this story, including his own involvement with them, prior to his arrival in the Althosian system as his previous incarnation once commented to his companion Evelyn Smythe that, from what he has heard, his future self is "always blowing up planets." (AUDIO: The 100 Days of the Doctor)
- Prelude to The Pit as published in DWM #197
- Detailed synopsis of The Pit at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Discontinuity Guide to: The Pit at The Whoniverse