a real world point of view
|The Prisoner's Dilemma|
|Main enemy:||Robot Constables|
|Publisher:||Big Finish Productions|
|Read by:||Sophie Aldred|
|Release date:||30 January 2009|
|The Companion Chronicles|
|The Transit of Venus||Resistance|
Publisher's summary Edit
Two prisoners meet in a prison cell. Zara is searching for the segments of the Key to Time; she was only born yesterday but already she’s killed hundreds of people. Ace is more ambitious: she was going to kill everyone on the planet.
What have they got against the people of Erratoon? They go peaceably about their simple assignments, beneath their artificial sky. They share their meals and leisure time and they never ask questions. Are they even real?
Ace and Zara will only survive if they can trust each other. Or perhaps if they sell each other out... If not their awful punishment is to become just like everyone else.
- Zara mentions the Tracers, the Key to Time, the White Guardian and the Black Guardian.
- Ace mentions Lurana, the Eye of Orion and being quite an expert on making explosions.
- Zink uses a Time Ring.
- Unlike most other Big Finish Productions audios, this story is set during the Virgin New Adventures era. Bernice Summerfield is mentioned but not named.
- This is the first Companion Chronicle to feature the Seventh Doctor.
- This audio drama was recorded on 16 June 2008.
- Ace mentions meeting "a man made from liquorice." (TV: The Happiness Patrol)
- Ace mentions having Christmas dinner in Cheldon Bonniface in 1992. (PROSE: Timewyrm: Revelation)
- Zara is the twin sister of the Fifth Doctor's former companion Amy (later Abby). The Doctor previously encountered Zara on Mars in the distant past (AUDIO: The Judgement of Isskar) and on Chaos at the end of recorded time (AUDIO: The Chaos Pool). Both of these events have yet to take place in her personal timeline.
- Ace remembers travelling with the Doctor and a woman wearing earrings. (PROSE: Love and War)
- Official The Prisoner's Dilemma page at bigfinish.com
- Detailed synopsis of The Prisoner's Dilemma at the Doctor Who Reference Guide