a real world point of view
|The Runaway Train|
|Main setting:||Earth, 1864|
|Read by:||Matt Smith|
|Release date:||24 April 2010 (newspaper giveaway)|
6 October 2010 (announced retail)
|NSA audio stories|
|The Ring of Steel||The Jade Pyramid|
Originally announced as the second Eleventh Doctor audio adventure release, with an issue date of 3 June 2010, it was subsequently indicated by online retailers such as Amazon that released had been delayed until 3 February 2011. However, they pushed release forward to 6 October 2010.
It was then announced that the UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph, would be issuing The Runaway Train as a special promotional giveaway with its issue of 24th April 2010. The audio The Hounds of Artemis, originally scheduled for release on 8 April, was moved to 3 June. As a result, The Runaway Train is technically the first Eleventh Doctor audio release, although BBC Audio is treating The Hounds of Artemis as the first in the series.
Publisher's summary Edit
Arriving on Earth in 1864, the Eleventh Doctor and Amy must get a posse together to help them retrieve an alien artefact. The duo are chased across the Wild West by the alien race, their only hope of escape is catching the 3:25 train to Arizona.
to be added
The Doctor Edit
- The Doctor professes his love for steam trains.
- The story was read by Matt Smith.
- The story is also available as a download from the AudioGo website.
- The Doctor previously stated his love of steam trains in TV: Black Orchid
- The recruitment of the individual team members occurs after the story's end, as the Doctor and Amy go back before events to "set things up."
- Official The Runaway Train page at audiogo.com
- Detailed synopsis of The Runaway Train at the Doctor Who Reference Guide